Citroen C4 05 plate or alternative

Soldato
Or simply liked how the C4 looked and the specs ? Regardless that it may or may not have more faults, without having driven one (perhaps I'd change my mind after a drive ?), I'd pick the C4 over the focus too.
Also, for some people the exterior of the car might be far more important than what plastics are used inside perhaps ??

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also, for some people the exterior of the car might be far more important than what plastics are used inside perhaps ??

I can understand that, considering most of the time spent will be driving it, not starting longingly at it. Hang on....

And I know you would have it, because you are an awkward little sod :p

Soldato
Hmpf, I did a drive in a focus to see what the fuss was all about on OcUK, but I've not seen one thing that I particularly liked about it, I just don't see why so many people recommend them here. It looked dull, it's slower than the competition with the same engine sizes, it was cramped inside, it had very few options ( the ghia spec, eg. no cruise control, no climate control but manually controlled aircon (ugh, had that in my learner car, it was always either too cold or too hot), etc), the ride quality was not just bad, it was appalling, completely laughable how it goes over paved streets and over speedbumps, stuff like that make me wonder why they are regarded highly here...

Man of Honour
Hmpf, I did a drive in a focus to see what the fuss was all about on OcUK, but I've not seen one thing that I particularly liked about it, I just don't see why so many people recommend them here.

You like bigger cars. I'd never buy a Focus either, for the reasons you state, but compared to a similar Vauxhall Astra or something its better.

Associate
I'd just like to add my experiences from two of the cars mentioned. I goto Spain a lot and rent these types hatchbacks regularly. Generally I normally get either a C4/Focus/207. The C4 is my favourite. I feel it drives better, is more comfortable and quieter then the others.

This is obviously on Spanish roads which can be ahem..carp. I however can't really comment on reliability as I tend to only have them for a couple of weeks.

Associate
Focus may be the generic choice, may also be the better choice but the C4 is a nice car which has a bit of character and looks great IMO, I especially like the steering wheel :D

I have read that you have gone for the C4, I think it's a good choice and the one I would go for, and besides my mum has had a C3 for 7 years from new it may be a bit tinny but nothing has gone wrong up to now other than a few bulbs and the exhaust, general wear and tear. :p

Associate
I'd rather have just about any other make of car than a Citroen, they are truly awful cars. The only ones worth owning are the basic models which have less to go wrong. The C4 is probably loaded with all kinds of gimmicks which will fail.

Soldato
I'd rather have just about any other make of car than a Citroen, they are truly awful cars. The only ones worth owning are the basic models which have less to go wrong. The C4 is probably loaded with all kinds of gimmicks which will fail.

deary me, were you abused by a Xantia at a young age or something? :D

Soldato
My brother has literally just purchased a car for 6k.

I told him to get a 1.6 Focus aswell. Got a Skoda 1.9 VRS in the end.

I can't say it was a bad choice, couldn't afford a 1.8 Civic which was my other option or a 1.9TDI Golf but while it is horrible Diesel it is much faster than my 1.6 Astra at 130BHP.

So out of interest what is the opinion on the Fabia 1.9VRS? cheaper and faster than a Golf 1.9TDI if you can live with the Skoda badge.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats the one he went for - http://www.islingtoncitroen.co.uk/vehicle-details.asp?Make=14&RSpage=2&ID=985478 - brought it over today. Seems very tidy throughout. Obviously not a "drivers" car but more of a general family car which is what they wanted.

Well, you know it wouldn't be our choice, calling it a family car doesn't make it ok. :)

I mean if the cars mentioned are drivers cars then what makes this a family car other than the lack of being a drivers car? built in child seats?

But I do agree it is a bit rarer than a Focus. If performance isn't your issue and you are concerned with "cool" from the average mans perspective then yeah I am sure it is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom