Civilization V

Soldato
It's a TBS.

You could have typed civilization in google and found out in the same amount of time as posting that and reading this...

I was just messing around i was hoping for someone to say "OMG you never heard of it" ofcourse i know civ i got them all and love it:D

Associate
Preview:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1075587p3.html

Some fans feared that the leaner (and loonier) style that Civ displayed on the consoles might bleed over into subsequent PC sequels. Based on the pre-alpha version we saw, that doesn't seem to be the case. There's a fine line between making a game easier and making it easier to play, of course, but Firaxis is committed to maintaining the depth the fans have come to expect.

Now when an invading army enters your territory, you'll want to send your spearmen and warriors and swordsmen out to fight them in the fields around your towns. Cities will automatically defend themselves now, and can benefit from increased defense based on certain structures or technologies, so you don't necessarily need to garrison a unit for defense but you can if you want to.

In another battle, a small group of powerful units were able to hold off a much larger attacking army in a narrow mountain pass.

Fortunately, the game will allow adjacent allied units to swap positions, so you can keep fresh troops engaged with the enemy and rescue your ranged units from contact ith melee fighters.

A lot of effort is being made to ensure that the AI in Civilization V behaves in a way that makes sense. As we watched a test game play out in front of us, AI programmer Ed Beach explained the way the AI uses subsystems to create and execute its strategies. At the lowest level, the tactical AI uses the forces at hand to win a battle on a local scale. One step up from that, the operational AI picks which battles to fight and makes sure that the necessary forces are available. Moving even higher, the strategic AI manages the empire as a whole, focusing on where to build cities and what to do with them.

At the top of the ladder is the grand strategic AI, which decides how to win the game. If the grand strategic AI decides to go for a conquest victory, the strategic AI will build the infrastructure needed to wage war and the operational and tactical AIs will choose and fight the battles. That way the tactical AI won't be fighting battles merely for the sake of fighting battles, but because those battles are relevant in the grand strategic AI's big picture. In the case of the conquest victory, the AI will be aiming to capture the other civ's capitals, which is all that's needed for a military victory this time.

Associate
Doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but we are getting Civ V on 24th September. As usual we will get it later then the US, although its only 3 days, its still quite annoying.

There has also been an update on the official site with the official civilisations and their Unique Units/Buildings. It turns out that each civ will get one UU and either a UU or UB. This is an interesting change, but it does mean England will get another boat UU, and remembering how useful this was in CivIII I am a bit worried. Still it can't be any worse than the useless UB we got in CivIV :rolleyes:. We also get Elizabeth I as our leader, so no change there, I think she has been a leader in ever game so far :eek:.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread so far but we are going to have to install Steam to run CivV even if we brought the game in a box. If you buy it from Steam then there will be a bonus civ and map pack (whatever that consists of). Needless to say this has caused some consternation on some of the fan forums, so much so that 2K have despatched community manager to alleviate the fans worries :D

I am not quite sure where the Steam hatred comes from, I have used it a bit and I will definitely be buying this in 3 months, 2 weeks, 2 days and 6 hours (approximately) :p

Man of Honour
Doesn't seem to have been mentioned, but we are getting Civ V on 24th September. As usual we will get it later then the US, although its only 3 days, its still quite annoying.

To be fair to Firaxis though thats only because the standard release day in the US is a Tuesday and here its a Friday. So they are releasing it on the same week its just down to the disparity in standard release days.

Permabanned
+1 for blind purchase.

All copies are going to be on steamworks, even boxed retail ones. I dont like having to use steam for boxed copies, but I can live with it.

Caporegime
Will buy blindly but......

The step from 3 to 4 was a sidegrade i thought. Graphically superior but i felt it lost something in 4, i hope 5 is a perfect mix of 3-4 but with new elements too.

Associate
+1 for blind purchase.

All copies are going to be on steamworks, even boxed retail ones. I dont like having to use steam for boxed copies, but I can live with it.

Yeah, I can live with it, but I really don't like it at all! I'm a huge Civ fan and the idea that one day in the future I won't be able to go back and think 'Hmm, I fancy a game of ye olde Civ V' because Steam went bust or don't support it anymore or something happened to my account is extremely worrying. I've occasionally gone back and had some games on all the old Civs so far, each has it's own good and bad points, but we may not be able to do this anymore!

*grumblegrumblesteamhatredgrumble*

Permabanned
If steam went bust, Firaxis would put out a patch that allowed to work without Steam.

Steam is just like any other DRM, it can be patched out.

You will probably even have community made 'patches' shortly after release that remove the steam DRM as well, allowing you to play without steam.

Its a PC game, with one of the biggest ever mod communities around (probably only second to Elder Scrolls). If you hate steam, that really shouldnt put you off the game, just rely on all those fans who also hate steam that will be able to roll out a 'Steam removing patch'. =D

Soldato
I'm not sure why people complain about King's Bounty\Heroes of Might and Magic having hex and turn based combat when Civ's model isn't that much different, yet it has a huge fanbase...not to mention the hilarity of axemen knocking out 20th century tanks.

Back
Top Bottom