Civilization VI

Caporegime
damn theres no cradle of civilization map for this like there was for civ5 and the few awesome civilizations from that time are city states

Soldato
Does anyone have a solution to the now rather jumpy when scrolling tech and civic views? They seem to jump so far when scrolling with the mouse wheel that what I am looking for goes from the far right to the far left of the screen.

Soldato
Sure, if you don't mind the rest of the world joining together in the following Liberate City State crisis. Unless you're capable of handling that, it is always better to get benefits from CSs by becoming the Suzerain.

Hmm, i mean combat is a feature of the game right? I know there are other ways of winning as well but in all the online MMORPGs Ive played, its always been about combat.

How do you see the benefits of trading with these city states? All I seem to get pop up occasionally is a screen to send envoys but I just increment it by one and close it.

Man of Honour
Hmm, i mean combat is a feature of the game right? I know there are other ways of winning as well but in all the online MMORPGs Ive played, its always been about combat.

But this isnt an MMORPG, its a TBS. You're right though, combat is a feature of the game but its not the only way to win. Some Civs are more geared for a military victory than others of course, sort of how Ancient Rome was geared for a military victory, others are geared for different forms of victory (in the same way that we could say today that the United States is on a pathway to a Cultural victory).

If you look at the city states, you will see that each city state has a Suzerain bonus for being its Suzerain, some of those bonuses can be pretty powerful, also having the city states under your control gives amenities, rare resources and for example can be a great way to acquire key resources (like Oil or Uranium or Niter) if you dont have it in your land but the city state does.

Soldato

How do you see the benefits of trading with these city states? All I seem to get pop up occasionally is a screen to send envoys but I just increment it by one and close it.

Well for example the 1, 3 and 6 envoys improve the related parts of your civ. So for example the 1st improves the capital, the 3rd improves the 1st building in most districts and 6th does the next one. There are also unique bonuses per CS too which may really help your game. They will also fight with you if required, you share their luxury resources...

There is more but you see their benefit.

Soldato
Do you have to take a specific action to become a city states suzerain or does it just happen on its own? Do you have to be in close proximity or?

How do you get to share their luxury resources?

I'll have to look at this more closely next time I boot it up.

Soldato
How you work with city states depends on where you are in the game. Early on before you meet other civilizations you can be aggressive with them such as stealing builders or invading them. Once I have met other civs I tend to be more friendly with them and build up suzerain. If they have a resource I need but they haven’t built on it yet I will send in my builder and improve it for them. The bonuses you get from trading with them is very good too, often a lot of gold.

Soldato
Do you have to take a specific action to become a city states suzerain or does it just happen on its own? Do you have to be in close proximity or?

If your first to meet them you will get a free envoy, they also put out missions such as build this, achieve that or trade with them. Each success will get you another envoy with them. Also you build up extra points to get buy an envoy per turn which is increased as you further your governments. If you have the most envoys you are suzerain with them (3 envoys min) until someone has more than you. Once suzerain and as long as they have built their improvements you will see the benefits.

Man of Honour

To be Suzerain you need to have more envoys allocated to that city state than anyone else, so you will often find Suzerain changing hands as Civs allocate more and overtake someone else and then they allocate more and retake it and so on.

You wont have enough envoys to be Suzerain with everyone, at least not until the late game, so you need to pick and choose which ones you want to put the bulk of your envoys in, so its a good idea to check the city state info for each city state and select which states will be of the biggest benefit to your particular Civ.

Also, once you have allocated an envoy, you cant take it back out and stick it in another city state, so another reason to be careful with fheir placements and lastly, if someone conquers that city state militarily, then you dont get the envoys you had there , back, you lose them.

No proximity needed, you can allocate envoys right across the map. You share the resources they have automatically upon becoming their Suzerain, providing they have built whats needed for the resource, if they havent then you can always run a builder over and build the mine or whatever, for them :)

Man of Honour
Still unsure why its better not to just take that city and its production/resources for yourself.

Well you can, but if the city state is a long way from your cities then you arent going to be able to hold onto it, plus going around and beating up all the city states will annoy the other civs and they will turn on you, no point in making 8 people attack you when it can be avoided. Plus having suzerain of city states gives you more diplomacy voting points, which means you have more power in the united nations votes, which increases your chances of getting a diplomatic victory

Soldato
Well you can, but if the city state is a long way from your cities then you arent going to be able to hold onto it, plus going around and beating up all the city states will annoy the other civs and they will turn on you, no point in making 8 people attack you when it can be avoided. Plus having suzerain of city states gives you more diplomacy voting points, which means you have more power in the united nations votes, which increases your chances of getting a diplomatic victory

To add to that, it also helps you stop others getting a diplomatic victory too

Associate

Great thing about the game and the Civ series is you can mostly set up games how you want it, I honestly think domination only victories are the most fun way to learn the game, and also to turn city states off entirely for now as they complicate things and can ruin expanding your own cities if you just want a more simple game.

Try domination only all other win conditions turned off, city states turned off and on the real World location map standard size as England. Doesn't matter what opponents you have but nice to spread it around, maybe have one other European civ.

You get an amazingly well defended starting area which requires early use of sailing to expand so your navy will be more advanced than everyone else, a well defended UK is very hard to attack and you have easy ways to set up anywhere else. If you set up close to others they'll often declare war on you anyway.

I've won many other Civ victories with all conditions on like science, but usually prefer domination only, if you get in some good wars it can be some of the best combat strategy gaming there is.

Soldato
Still unsure why its better not to just take that city and its production/resources for yourself.

don't forget there is also an opportunity cost to taking the city state that is rarely worth it in the early game because they can pump out units quickly and are relatively strong and the bonuses in the late game are really good.

For all the time you are spending building units and at war, you stunt the progress of every city that you already have which puts you behind all the other players.

Soldato

One example is that there is a scientific city state (Geneva) that if you are suzerain of grants you 15% extra science if you are not at war, another gives you 5% science for each different strategic resource you have, Cardiff will give you power in Harbour buildings. I cant find it or remember what it is called but there is also one where if you are suzerain of one city state you get 5 or 15% bonus for that CS type in your capital and if you are suzerain of two or more of the same city state you get that bonus in all your cities.

This is worth a read - https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/City-state_(Civ6)

What I will say is that generally it is better to keep CS's than taken them over, but that doesnt mean that sometimes it isnt necessary.

Caporegime
never get city states tbh.

in real life city states would trade, war, and form temporary alliances as they saw fit.

most famously "the sea people" who wiped out a lot of cities around the med, were seen as one of the major events that led to the dark ages. (theories are that natural disaters or famine forced them to seek new lands)

anyway egypt beat them on multiple occasions around 1200bc left us with some nice pictorials of the events and told us who they were.

The foreign countries made a conspiracy in their islands, All at once the lands were removed and scattered in the fray. No land could stand before their arms: from Hatti, Qode, Carchemish, Arzawa and Alashiya on, being cut off [i.e. destroyed] at one time. A camp was set up in Amurru. They desolated its people, and its land was like that which has never come into being. They were coming forward toward Egypt, while the flame was prepared before them. Their confederation was the Peleset, Tjeker, Shekelesh, Denyen and Weshesh, lands united. They laid their hands upon the land as far as the circuit of the earth, their hearts confident and trusting: 'Our plans will succeed!

Ramesses III refers to his battle with the Sea Peoples in stark, uncompromising terms
The [Egyptian] charioteers were warriors [...], and all good officers, ready of hand. Their horses were quivering in their every limb, ready to crush the [foreign] countries under their feet...Those who reached my boundary, their seed is not; their heart and soul are finished forever and ever

why game lacks such an awesome feature

BTW if any of you like docus about old civilizations theres an excellent one on the hittites (small tribe according to the bible)
They were kind enough to leave behind a library of clay tablets ;)
One of the most important discoveries at the site has been the cuneiform royal archives of clay tablets, known as the Bogazköy Archive, consisting of official correspondence and contracts, as well as legal codes, procedures for cult ceremony, oracular prophecies and literature of the ancient Near East. One particularly important tablet, currently on display at the Istanbul Archaeology Museum, details the terms of a peace settlement reached years after the Battle of Kadesh between the Hittites and the Egyptians under Ramesses II, in 1259 or 1258 BC. A copy is on display in the United Nations in New York City as an example of the earliest known international peace treaties.
Although the 30,000 or so clay tablets recovered from Hattusa form the main corpus of Hittite literature, archives have since appeared at other centers in Anatolia, such as Tabigga (Maşat Höyük) and Sapinuwa (Ortaköy). They are now divided between the archaeological museums of Ankara and Istanbul.

1420 - 1200bc
this is how there capital city would have looked (minus whatever wooden buildings they had)
20boRZV.jpg

How the site actually looks now
zaD7oqy.jpg

google maps
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hattuşa+Yerkapı/@40.0066769,34.6162884,832m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1

switch to satellite, zoom in a little so you can see the ruins more clear then slowly move north and look at the bloody size of that place.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
City States are very important as some of them have massive bonuses. It's worth spending time to look at their bonuses and what they can give you, and then making sure you scout properly at the start to find them and dedicate time to focus on getting their benefits. Geneva is one of the good ones (as mentioned above), but there's also Antananarivo (up to +30% culture), Singapore (+2 Production per city per trade route to other Civ's), Hong Kong (+20% production to city projects - great for the space race), Zanzibar (+12 total amenities), and Mexico (+3 range to Entertainment and Industrial regional effects). There's a lot more of them, and utilising them properly can shave quite a few turns off a game win, fix terrible starts, or push an unlikely win into a win.

Back
Top Bottom