Civilization VI

Man of Honour
Folks. I watched a YouTube video of a guy playing civ 6 and notice there was some writing on the map naming a river or something.

Is this something new in one of the expansions?

Named terrain came in one of the expansions...might have been in the second one, Gathering Storm, cant remember.

Soldato
Ah cheers.

Believe it or not I'm starting to play this game properly now since buying it many years ago.

Am I best off playing this game vanilla to get me started....
Or should I get the expansions?

Also is it me or does the game crash quite often whenever you try to alt tab out or "alt-enter"?

Soldato
OP
Definitely play with expansions if you can, if not for the new content, then definitely for the quality-of-life improvements, stability/bug fixes, and balance changes.

The game does crash quite often for me when I alt-tab out, but only when I'm using DirectX 12; if you're on 12, try using 11 instead and that should help.

Soldato
I never have an alt tab crash, think I only have directx 11, not sure it’s just a dell laptop.

I started with vanilla and quickly found that I got the expansions as they do add so much.

I would also recommend looking at the mods in the steam workshop there are some very good UI mods that just make information that’s available more easily accessible or obvious.

Associate
I use direct x 12 on the basic Epic version, never had a crash with multiple alt tabs to desktop. I'm using borderless windowed mode if that helps.

Soldato
Man... this game is so overwhelming compared to the days of Civ 1-4.... so many facets to consider now.... I have no idea sometimes where to start or what decision to make when building and for what type of resource...

So many questions!

Incidentally why would a civ want to trade a great work with me which are both exhbiting the same attributes? Whats the advantage?

Soldato
Man... this game is so overwhelming compared to the days of Civ 1-4.... so many facets to consider now.... I have no idea sometimes where to start or what decision to make when building and for what type of resource...

So many questions!

Incidentally why would a civ want to trade a great work with me which are both exhbiting the same attributes? Whats the advantage?

You will want to match certain criteria of great works to get bonuses. If you look at the great works UI it will show what you want to look out for. Things like 'pictures of the same type from different artists'.

I actually find Civ6 not as complex as Civ 4 but I think that's just purely due to Civ4s AI being far better so I needed to think more.

Soldato
Cheers MB.

I uninstalled reinstalled the game... it works find for many turns (100s) but eventually would crash during one of the alt tabs....

I am running DX12 admitdly. But some seem to have it working with DX12....

Soldato
I’m fully expansioned up. Not sure what screen format I use I just know the game is always the main focus unless I specifically tab to something else.

for great works to maximise tourism and culture you want to theme them so religious with religious, sculpture with sculpture etc. But each of the 3 items has to be from a different artist.
Then for artefacts you want three from the same era and from different Civs or city states/barns.

if going culture normally a 70/30 art to archeological museum ratio is a good point.

Soldato
I’m fully expansioned up. Not sure what screen format I use I just know the game is always the main focus unless I specifically tab to something else.
Cheers to you and newboy for the info.

Wierld, aside from 1 crash.... Im now able to alt tab out of Civ (Fullscreen) and no errors/crashes...
Genuinely dont get it....

for great works to maximise tourism and culture you want to theme them so religious with religious, sculpture with sculpture etc. But each of the 3 items has to be from a different artist.
Then for artefacts you want three from the same era and from different Civs or city states/barns.

if going culture normally a 70/30 art to archeological museum ratio is a good point.

I swear you could be speaking about any game about the above and I wouldnt know it!
You lost me from "But each of the ....".

I do need to read up.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe watch one or two YouTubers games (solo games so the focus is always what they see) and just watch their choices. Maybe even just YouTube Civ6 cultural victory tips for just some quick 5 to 10 min videos?

Soldato
Thanks for your help folks.

So if I went for gathering storms I would get everything from this and Rise and fall save for the leaders and new cigs in rise and fall?

Also GS is on for 16.99 at cdkeys as a Eu version. Any problem with this?

Caporegime
never had a crash either with all expansions and I only have 8gb ram.

I can't remember what map size I play something like standard? but I use a mod version of a map that lets you just chuck as many AI civs in as I like so I'm sure it's still a strain and memory hog
full citiy states full, civs, use a mod so they can't build cities so close to each other :D fun times seeing who will survive.

even the city states have a decent chance to survive because with as many ai civs as you can there's only really space for everyone to make 1-3 cities before the map is full with the mod so they cant plop a city down on top of someone elses

Back
Top Bottom