Civilization VI

Soldato
I have equal hours on civ v and civ vi right now. I go through fits and starts of playing. When I do play it's generally 3-4 games in a row over a few weeks and then nothing for a few weeks. I still feel the AI could be better but I see no traction in them addressing that at all.

Soldato
So no one played Ethiopia yet? :p Im finding them ok, certainly a decent religious civ, especially combined with the secret society i found the owls of minerva one.... Lots of cash!

Just won my first game as Ethiopia, used the Voidsingers secret Society and found my self with far too much faith to know what do with! Basically found a religion with all the use faith to build things options and spam your way up as fast as possible.

Surprisingly I won with diplomacy

Soldato
I have just discovered Civ VI. Impulse bought on steam for £12.xx. All seems to be running good DX12, 60fps 1920 x 1200 on a Ryzen 1700 at stock. There is much learning to do and not much info it seems, luckily I am retired

Soldato
How good/complete is the base game this time?

The last few Civs it's seemed the base games were a bit thin and only really fulfilled their potential with some of the more significant DLCs.

I have both Civ VI base game, and Civ V with all the main DLCs (not played since I got the DLCs), but not sure which would offer the best experience once I finish my Shogun 2 campaign.

Associate
How good/complete is the base game this time?

The last few Civs it's seemed the base games were a bit thin and only really fulfilled their potential with some of the more significant DLCs.

I have both Civ VI base game, and Civ V with all the main DLCs (not played since I got the DLCs), but not sure which would offer the best experience once I finish my Shogun 2 campaign.

I only have the base game for Civ 6 that was free on Epic store, but I have all of the DLC for Civ 5. I've gained most victory types in Civ 5 except religion and culture which just don't interest me. I have a domination game on Civ 6 going that I've basically won but CBA to finish them all off using similar tactics to Civ 5 full game.

Civ 6 base game is still perfectly playable going from Civ 5 with all expansions, but the graphics are more cartoon style and I'm not as much a fan of zones in cities in Civ 6 as the Civ 5 method of having them without having to manage space.

I'd go Civ 5 with all expansions over Civ 6 without, but I did still enjoy the Civ 6 base game for what it is.

Soldato
I only have the base game for Civ 6 that was free on Epic store, but I have all of the DLC for Civ 5. I've gained most victory types in Civ 5 except religion and culture which just don't interest me. I have a domination game on Civ 6 going that I've basically won but CBA to finish them all off using similar tactics to Civ 5 full game.

Civ 6 base game is still perfectly playable going from Civ 5 with all expansions, but the graphics are more cartoon style and I'm not as much a fan of zones in cities in Civ 6 as the Civ 5 method of having them without having to manage space.

I'd go Civ 5 with all expansions over Civ 6 without, but I did still enjoy the Civ 6 base game for what it is.

Cheers.

Yeah, I noticed the cartoony graphics when one of my kids was playing it. Didn't really like the look of them either.

At least going with Civ V will justify the (small) amount I paid for the expansions in the first place...

Soldato
Base + gathering storm DLC is a decent way to go. Gives you all the main mechanics and the game feels pretty good with just that.

I would go with V complete, may as well get your monies worth out of it, then play VI another time, as for me, I find it very difficult to go back to V after getting used to VI.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to trying these civs. Quite enjoyed the new play modes so far the season pass has been an interesting approach. Not quite as deep as full blown expansion but quite a variety.

Soldato
Up til now I have only played in prince mode. I keep getting beaten somewhere in the 400th odd turn by religion or similar.

What is different about the game play in settler mode. If it is similar I may try it out to see if I can win using it but if it makes the game too simplistic, I may not bother and keep hacking away as I am.

Cheers,

Edit: 200 hours in so far.

Soldato
I started at Prince and was struggling to get going, starting watching a few vids of a guy called The Game Mechanic on YT and now play on emperor and am annoyed if I haven’t won by turn 300.

Main thing he states is in civ vi you should be aiming for 8-10 settled cities by about turn 100.

Take time, plan city layouts to maximise adjacency bonuses on districts, choose correct districts, campus, theatre square, commercial hub/ harbour should be in all cities (science or culture victory would determine whether all have campus or all have TS’s and then the other should also have a healthy amount ).

holy sites if you go religion, otherwise only if good adjacency do I bother, faith from earth goddess can make more faith than holy sites if used well.

encampments if you go war, and then maybe one or two in other instances.

industrial zones, going to space then build, doing culture do not (well maybe one or two centralised ones to cover multiple cities - they hurt appeal). Mix these with dams and aqueducts where possible.

waterparks, entertainment zones, neighbourhoods, think carefully about if you really need them :)

Associate
It's definitely a good idea to read up on game mechanics or watch walk throughs on YouTube.

I have the base game and I've put quite a lot of time into it. I play on deity and lose almost every time but there is something about such a high level of challenge that I really enjoy.

I've been looking at the expansions but they seem quite expensive to me, ~£60 could get me CK3 with change.

Soldato
Have a watch of Potatomcwhiskey a watch on YouTube, he does some decent how to play videos, then some worryingly entertaining ones for trying to win in specific ways...

This months update is genuinely good, the change on golden ages to be policy cards is loads of fun, plus the Byzantium has a hilarious snowball win with a religion!

Next on my list is to try being Teddy with the golden age cards just to see how many I can have going at once...

Soldato
I did win with Ghandi on science in turn 430ish. I was playing prince level. I try aiming for cartography early as that gets me a working navy and then advanced flight. I have been trounced early on by not having a working military.
I am not sure how religion works (in life either) so I tend not to do well here. Domination, science and culture are my targets to win. Build plenty of cities.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom