1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning your lens

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Ghost in the Shell, 27 Feb 2006.

1. Ghost in the Shell

Wise Guy

how do you look after your front and back elements?

i have a dust cloth but i dread using it on my lenses as i feel it makes them worse over time.. just after some advice.

2. Leigh

Hitman

NEVER touch the rear element. I use a blower to move dust. On the front i use a lens pen.

3. ranarama

Hitman

I probably don't look after them as well as I should but I've not had any problems. I have a lens pen to take smears and dust off if I'm out and then have a proper lens cleaning cloth I use at home. Most of the time I just use a rocket blower to clear dust off though.

As I keep a UV filter on all the time I don't have to touch the front element and if I do anything silly with it at least I've only done it to the filter. I've not had to touch the back element on any of my lenses yet though.

4. hoodmeister

Hitman

Excuse my ignorance... But what is a lens pen?

I use a cloth on the front, blower everywhere else - although the "front" is a UV filter for me.

5. ranarama

Hitman

It's shaped like a marker pen. At one end is a retractable soft brush for removing dust. At the other end is a pad with some sort of cleaning solution for removing fingerprints/smears.

Don't think this counts as a competitior but if it does please remove. lenspen

6. Gamefreak501

Sgarrista

I am guilty of using a various lint-free cloths to clean up both elements of all my lenses :o

Maybe I have been fortunate thus far to not cause any damage/scratches etc. on any of the elements on my lenses.

I need a blower really.