• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Clevo laptop graphic card possibly dead = black screen ...

Associate
Hello,

So I have a clevo 150 HM laptop with an nvidia GTX 485m graphic card.

When turning the laptop on, the screen is black but i hear windows 7 music in the back. So it is running.

Here is what I've done and what I would like to do (this is where i need your advice):

What I've done:
checked ram sticks, slots changed, 1 stick, changed sticks etc.... etc...
remove the keyboard and boot.
in/out of CMOS
external monitors via different methods, hdmi, vga etc...
graphic card in out
blowing dust out

What I would like to do:
so this is not a new computer but I would like it to work again for various reasons.
I'm not sure where the problem comes from but I'm quite sure its the graphic card if an external monitor does not work.
On ebay you can get graphic cards but I don't feel like spending 90 + with no certainty

So I thought about an external graphic card USB 3 to VGA such as this:

https://www.startech.com/AV/display...eo-Adapters/usb-3-vga-video-adapter~USB32VGAV

Now it says that it does not need drivers as they are integrated but I think this simply means the file is on it for it to be installed (aka no cd and no internet need).
Because I can't see anything, I would need the external graphic adapter to work immediately.

Conclusion: do you guys have any thoughts on this and have used these before?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom