Clicked Order..... Samsung LE40A656.

Associate
Hi guys,

Just clicked order on the Samsung LE40A656.... reading from the reviews seems to be the best Tv with 1080p & 100hz with 24fps can't go wrong, for what i need it for playing 360, both sd & hd content and freeview not going into the blu-ray just yet till prices droop, as most of my hd content will come from the PC this was the best option for sum 700 quid, will post a small review of what i think of it when it arrives hopefully tomorrow after next day delivery from beyond!

Soldato
The best option would have been a Panny PZ/PX plasma

- Will be better at SD and HD Content.
- Will not require you to replace your TV when you decide to go Bluray
- Are 1080p/100hz/24hz
- Are either cheaper or on a par.
- I doubt you would see much difference in gaming between an LCD and a Plasma. Mine runs my PS3 brilliantly

Soldato
Don't let Photoshop rain on your parade.....

Hope you enjoy your tele. Just, whatever you do, don't get too hung up on getting perfect blacks and looking for faults - just get it set up in a way that you are happy. Otherwise you can ruin a lot of enjoyment from your new toy.

Soldato
Don't let Photoshop rain on your parade.....

Just, whatever you do, don't get too hung up on getting perfect blacks and looking for faults - just get it set up in a way that you are happy. Otherwise you can ruin a lot of enjoyment from your new toy.

O don't go looking for the obvious faults and failings of a set he has just spent £700 on. Just read that again and think about it ;)

Soldato
O don't go looking for the obvious faults and failings of a set he has just spent £700 on. Just read that again and think about it ;)

Sigh... I suppose I could have worded that better. But from surfing avforums, people get hung up on silly things, or small things, which may not be faults as as such but part of the tech. Some people wouldn't notice certain things unless they went looking for it.

Sure, he shouldn't ignore obvious technical faults with the tele...

Soldato
Sigh... I suppose I could have worded that better. But from surfing avforums, people get hung up on silly things, or small things, which may not be faults as as such but part of the tech. Some people wouldn't notice certain things unless they went looking for it.

Sure, he shouldn't ignore obvious technical faults with the tele...

Thats not what -Ad- is saying :)

Hes saying when you spend £700 on a TV it should be good.

Not getting hung up on little things like "black levels" (thats not a small thing by the way, just ask Pioneer!) would be a mistake.

But your right in one respect that you shouldnt go looking for faults and not let silly small things put you off when you spend £700. I find that foolish especially when there are TV's which are cheaper which offer a lot more.

I think your easily pleased.

Soldato
enjoy your new toy. supposed to be one of the better LCD sets out there.

post your review once you have calibrated to your liking.

PS you really should get a Blu Ray player, I truly doubt you will regret it. several player models are under £200.

Soldato
Chances are the guy will be very happy with his tele, and by most peoples standards it probably is a good tele. All he wanted to do was share his happiness, not drudge up the plasma vs lcd stuff.

Associate
Believe me, when he sees how shocking the quality of bluray is on his new LCD, he will want to replace it! :)

Can I just ask what you think is wrong with Blu-ray picture quality on the latest LCD's?

You seem to be talking like a plasma snob who thinks that anything less is not worth bothering with. I have my PS3 hooked up to my Sony 40W4500 and the image quality is superb (especially in titles such as i robot)

From reading various posts by you in this forum ive been impressed with the quality but this post was just poor.

Anyway enjoy your new TV :)

Caporegime
Good TV. Has a better picture than most TVs IMO, colours are a little off but can't fault it for black level and motion.

Great for gaming too. I have the 40A656 in my bedroom, Kuro in the living room.

Soldato
Can I just ask what you think is wrong with Blu-ray picture quality on the latest LCD's?
I'd like to know this too!

Had my Sony for about 7 months and found it nothing short of excellent for both SD and BR/HDDVD playback.

I know price comparable plasma's are generally better at the majority of stuff but there's no reason to make a bold and generalised statement like that.

gt

Soldato
OK so I was a bit harsh. I've actually just popped into curry's on the way back home and seen it in the flesh and it doesn't look bad. SD quality isn't the best but I suppose its no worse than any other LCD.

Maybe tweaking it from the settings from here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/757072-le-a656-settings-thread.html it probably will end up being a good TV for the OP's needs.

As for the quality of BluRays on LCD's, i still think they are not as good as on plasma. Thats obvious which im sure you all know already. If you get a chance, watch TDK or Kingdom of Heaven on both and you'll see the difference as the darker movies show the difference pretty well.

Maybe the difference is not as much as what my above posts suggest but there is a difference but if the correct settings are applied then maybe the difference will be minimal.

My friend has LE52A756R and we both have watched movies on his and my Panny plasma and he agrees that the panny is better and he payed over 2k for his and i payed a little over 1k.

Anyway, as long as you enjoy your sets then there is nothing to worry about.
My apologies for being a little over the top :(

Last edited:
Soldato
The best option would have been a Panny PZ/PX plasma

- Will be better at SD and HD Content.
- Will not require you to replace your TV when you decide to go Bluray
- Are 1080p/100hz/24hz
- Are either cheaper or on a par.
- I doubt you would see much difference in gaming between an LCD and a Plasma. Mine runs my PS3 brilliantly

what's the point in this post exactly?

maybe we should all berate you for buying a panasonic instead of a Kuro.....you're attitude in this post and some others leaves a lot to be desired - you think you have all the answers and quite often you are behind the pack.

Soldato
what's the point in this post exactly?

maybe we should all berate you for buying a panasonic instead of a Kuro.....you're attitude in this post and some others leaves a lot to be desired - you think you have all the answers and quite often you are behind the pack.

Awesome.

The point is already explained above if you bothered to read the rest rather than picking 1 post and being sensationalist. I apologised for being harsh but you must have missed that so i quoted below:

OK so I was a bit harsh. I've actually just popped into curry's on the way back home and seen it in the flesh and it doesn't look bad. SD quality isn't the best but I suppose its no worse than any other LCD.

Maybe tweaking it from the settings from here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/757072-le-a656-settings-thread.html it probably will end up being a good TV for the OP's needs.

As for the quality of BluRays on LCD's, i still think they are not as good as on plasma. Thats obvious which im sure you all know already. If you get a chance, watch TDK or Kingdom of Heaven on both and you'll see the difference as the darker movies show the difference pretty well.

Maybe the difference is not as much as what my above posts suggest but there is a difference but if the correct settings are applied then maybe the difference will be minimal.

My friend has LE52A756R and we both have watched movies on his and my Panny plasma and he agrees that the panny is better and he payed over 2k for his and i payed a little over 1k.

Anyway, as long as you enjoy your sets then there is nothing to worry about.
My apologies for being a little over the top :(

You and other don't need to "berate" me as I know the kuro range is far superior than my Panasonic plasmas. I already know that - I don't need you to tell me.

And the fact remains that for £700 the Sammy is NOT the "best" option as the OP states in his opening post as the Panasonic TH42PZ80 is a far better TV at the same price range. This is also backed up by -Ad- http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=13616766&postcount=6 so im not alone!

But as you state, im behind the pack. I forgot LCD had overtaken plasma but thanks for pointing that out to me. I'll do more research next time.

And the fact that you have contributed nothing but come on here to make what seems like a personal dig at me says it all. But do you know what? This is the internet and you should relax.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom