Clio 197

Associate
I drive a non RenaultSport model of the new Clio - okay it's a 1.4 if you really want to know :p, but I do think Renault have a gem of a chassis there, and I'm sure with the uprated springs and whatnot in the RS version it can only get better. I would certainly expect it to be a class-topping drive.

The build quality and overall feel of the car has also improved significantly over the previous Mk2 Clio - the interior feels a very nice place to be if you choose the 'Soft Touch interior' option (which I'm sure will be standard on the 197) - there really is a lack of cheap and nasty plastics in the new model. The driving position has also improved remarkably (although visibility with the large A-pillar isn't the best).

The looks are a question of personal taste - personally I think it is a very good looking car in the RS guise - looks mean, angry and purposeful in my opinion. If the looks aren't to your taste, you can be confident it will drive very nicely indeed :).

Associate
and its French and it WILL rattle like a dried pea in a cake tin
My mums new mk3 clio doesnt rattle.

g0th2000 said:
It'd probably be a classic if it wasn't sporting +150kg of NCAP ballast :(
Same sort of power to weght as the current civic type R. Looks are on par with the current civic.

What Eidalon says about residules would probably sway me to a Honda, though. Interesting to see what discounts are available in in a year.

Associate
I'm quite a fan of the Renault Sport brand, setting up cars with the focus on dynamics rather than all out power.

The increase in BHP is of course soaked up by the additional weight, so i'm expecting similar straight line performance to the current 172/182 flavours, however i'm sure delivery shall feel more 'lively' thanks to the ratios in the 6 speed box.

The rear-diffuser has raised an eye-brow. My thoughts are that they are very impressive on smooth surfaces. ala track-work, but show it a bumpy compressing B-road and shall the Clio197 come 'un-stuck' so to speak? I certainly hope it's not just a marketing point but actual evolution.

The Brembo brake setup should be pretty funky, especially as this is one of the RS departments strongest area's. As for the looks, not exactly 'wow' worthy in the pictures, perhaps better on the road. As mentioned, you'd have to be French to pay £16k for a Clio without an engine in the back!

Associate
I don't know what the underside of the RS clio looks like - if it is very smooth then the rear diffuser will certainly aid aero grip.

However the road type shouldn't pose too much of a problem - a crumbling country lane then perhaps, but otherwise I would have thought that any main road should be smooth enough. There is the added point that a) On a narrow, crumbling country lane you shouldn't be pushing the car to its limit, and b) On a decent A/B road, the mechanical grip should be perfectly sufficient for good handling at any sort of remotely safe speed.

On a track the issue will be different though.

Associate
I've nailed my 172Cup across many demanding B-roads & often find the rear dancing about as a hothatch should, my thoughts were towards the Clio197 suddenly losing all rear-end downforce from a mid-corner hump, something the UK has plenty of.

I guess a large degree of my speculation is because no other hothatch has moved in this particular direction of creating down-force & that this is all very 'look at us, were the F1 World Champs and were using the technology in a... Clio'.

Saying that, RS have banged it round the 'Ring, if it works there it should be fine here!

Soldato
Not my cup of tea.

Peugeot are rumoured to be making the 207 GTi based on the RCup concept car, I really hope they get it right :cool:

Peugeot_207_RCup.jpg

Associate
All the new Pug's have that hoooooooge mouth!

The 207GT will be out this year, sporting 150bhp from a 1.6 Turbo.
The 207GTi should be along in... 18months!?! :| 200bhp as well.
It won't have be slammed to the deck, have flared arches, enlarged side-mirrors, tinted windows & probably won't be available in white! Apart from that, yip similar to the piccy!

Permabanned
BTW, its not a Rally stripe on the steering wheel.....thats 'Nicoles' Mandatory 'wheel right way up' aid when the Mrs. is reversing! (and/or driving forward!)

Permabanned
i thought renault had made a huge mistake with the 197, adding weight, but the news of a 6th gear box changes my mind, if it handles aswell as a 182 i think it should be pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom