Clio or a P306?

Associate
I've driven a few 1.4 306's and found them to be quite nippy for the size of the engine and the size of the car. As mentioned above, they are more than fast enough for a first car anyhow. Remember that the tax will be cheaper on the 1.4 too! :)

Associate
What do you mean by struggle? I go on the motorway quite often with a mk4 golf 1.4, which is a slow heavy car, and that is fine. I honestly doubt a 1.4 clio is going to struggle unless you are considering hitting three figures

Soldato
triggerthat said:
The reason for a slightly quicker car is because I'll probably do some motorway driving and don't want it to struggle too much.

Its hardly going to struggle doing 70mph though, the 1.4 is probably the better choice for tax fuel economy etc.

Soldato
Mike306dt said:
Its hardly going to struggle doing 70mph though, the 1.4 is probably the better choice for tax fuel economy etc.

Accually the 1.6 could accually be better as you will not have to strain it as much when at 70 to keep the same speed and the difference will increase the more you go over 70mph.

Soldato
Gixer said:
Performance wise out of the two I would go for the clio, but as said the 306 has a much nicer interior and more robust feel about it. I think the seller of that 306 is maybe being a bit optomistic saying a 1.4 has a top speed of 140mph though, I have a 306 gti6 and its top speed is only 140mph!!

I'd go with scottland and hold out for a bigger engined 306.

he also thinks max torque is at 8000rpm.

hes just looked at the biggest numbers on the dial :rolleyes: tool!

Associate
omg buy it 140mph 1.4 306!!!!!! rofl some people :) think i might ask him some questions about it, if i buy it and it does not do 140mph do i get a refund?

Soldato
Is the 0-60 time for the Pug correct? Nearly 15 seconds to 60 :eek:

Oh, I just remembered that Peugeot do their 0-60 runs with the car loaded don't they?

It'll probably see 11 seconds with only the driver in. Not too bad then.

The Clio will be noticeably faster. The 1.2's (or 1.15 ;)) aren't too bad with a 0-60 time of est. 12 secs... so the 1.6 I reckon would do it in about 8.5-9.

Soldato
saitrix said:
Accually the 1.6 could accually be better as you will not have to strain it as much when at 70 to keep the same speed and the difference will increase the more you go over 70mph.
You could be right. As an example my 1.4 gets a fairly even split of crawling through stop start traffic, general town driving, country roads and motorway and I get around about 440 miles until the fuel light comes on.

When I went on my hols to the new forrest I did a big stint of motorway driving to get from norwich to where I was staying which I did at a pretty constant 80mph, I then used my car for pottering about whilst I was there and when the fuel light came on I had covered... 445 miles, so basically the 1.4 gets around 40 ish mpg whether its around town or on the motorway which for me is perfect BUT if you do a lot of motorway miles (considerably more than you do around town/b roads etc.) then a larger engine could work out slightly more economical.

This coupled with the fact that whilst a small engined car wouldn't exactly struggle with motorway speeds a larger engine does soak up the miles better and is always handy for those brisk overtakes would maybe steer me towards something with a larger engine.

Obviously you still need to consider insurance costs etc. and its not just about engine size, some cars are better motorway cruisers than others. Rep mobiles are designed for the task and are cheap as chips due to the number of them on the market. They wouldn't be my choice of first car but they would be ideal for doing long journeys in if thats what it will be used for.

Associate
Just got an email back from the seller..............guy seems a half wit wouldnt touch the car with a barge pole he prolly has filled the engine with veg oil or something

306 seller said:
it's not false advertising mate!!
it is the car specs. and what it says on the speedo.
check photo no. 6 enlarge it, you will see MPH is between 0 and 140. This means the max is 140 (that is when the car was brand new they tested it) and when you are not moving it is zero MPH. If you want to do 140 MPH you will have to buy 2006 model. I don't think they do 306 any more. You have to go for 307. Good luck and thank you for your intrest.

Soldato
Malachy said:
Just got an email back from the seller..............guy seems a half wit wouldnt touch the car with a barge pole he prolly has filled the engine with veg oil or something

What he said ^ Don't touch it. Just because it has 140 on there its going to do it? I never knew my dturbo was that capable before ;)

Soldato
Torque (lbs feet) 115.0
RPM to which the Torque refers 8000

So it reaches max torque at 8k, when the car probably limits out at around 7000 at a guess? He's just looked at the dials ;) Anyone got an ebay account that can ask him why it reaches max torque after the limiter has stopped you?

Edit : Top Speed: 106 mph - From parkers ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Just sent the guy another mail :) i hope he comes on here could be amusing

My Ebay Account said:
Hello again,
By the way you might want to check this link out were having a bit of a joke on our car forum :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17533616&page=1&pp=30

And as someone says on there how can max torque be reached at 8000rpm when your engine will be restricted to rev to a maximum of 6500 rpm or there abouts :) please come onto the forum and proove us all wrong we would love to be enlightened
Thanks again
Andy XXX
added kisses too just for the hilarity :)

Associate
Cliff more like!!!

Redline starts at 6500 looking at that pic but if its like mine you can go 250 into the red on the 306's (though my redline is a bit higher).

Sounds like a complete idiot, and that reply he sent to Malachy did make me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom