Associate
Hi

Its been a while since I have been on here - hope you are all ok.

So I am trying to transfer my system from a small 80g hard drive to either a 320g hard drive or a 500g hard drive to which I have ended up with 5 drives in my computer.... 2 data drives and 3 system drives however only the original 80g drive will boot.

What I eventually want to do is remove my small 80g hard drive currently listed as Master Disk 0 with the boot system on and the two 160g drives (one of which is Slave Disk 1 both containing data that I use) keeping the two larger drives - one for the system and the other for data and a backup system (if that makes any sense).

I have tried using the cloning tools in AOMEI Backupper, AOMEI Partition Assistant and Macrium Reflect Free but none seem to be able to make bootable drives even though all appear to clone/copy the hard drive successfully - I attach photo's of the set up in the hope that someone can give me some guidance as to where I am going wrong.

Disk 0 (Original Boot) 80GB = C Drive - CH0 M Drive Name IC 35L080AVVA07-0 (Master)
Disk 1 (Data Disk) 160GB = E Drive - CH0 S Drive Name ST3160212 ACE (Slave)
Disk 2 (Clone) 320GB = F/J Drives SCSI 0 Drive Name WDC WD3200AVVS -63L2BO
Disk 3 (Clone) 500GB = G/H Drive SCSI 1 Drive Name HC 55C1050CLA 382
Disk 4 (Data) 160GB = I Drive SCSI 2 Drive Name WD 1600JD-OOHBBO

I need either Disk 2 or 3 to Boot so I can use the other one to save Data and backups.

Its a standalone music DAW computer btw.

Fingers crossed
Vikki

Sorry guys which is best tool to load the images - grr

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
What error do you get when booting off the newly cloned disk?

Hi -
- inaccessible_boot_device
and
- Bootmgr missing

The images are from my disk manager - I will also get the image from Macrium if that helps.
I am so frustrated with this been on it for days - used to be so simple in the older systems before Windows 10.

Thank you
Vikki

Man of Honour
I think macrium would help, when using reflect did you clone individual partitions rather than the whole disk?

The easiest way I have found is to clone the whole disk to the new one including all partitions. reboot, booting from the new disk then extend the main partition to fill up remaining space. I have had similar issues to this when cloning oem machines.

Soldato
Is it windows 7? If so boot off your win 7 install dvd, choose R for repair and let it run some boot repair checks.

Man of Honour
Is it windows 7? If so boot off your win 7 install dvd, choose R for repair and let it run some boot repair checks.

Windows 10 I think. It looks the OP was trying to clone disk 0 to disk 3 but the drive structures don't appear to be the same and there are multiple recovery partitions. best bet here is to do a fresh clone without resizing partitions (so copy the whole drive - There is a checkbox in macrium to the far left of a drive when you do this) you end up with identical drive structure ignoring the empty un-allocated space at the end of the drive. you can then just extend the primary partition and away you go.

Associate
OP
I think macrium would help, when using reflect did you clone individual partitions rather than the whole disk?

The easiest way I have found is to clone the whole disk to the new one including all partitions. reboot, booting from the new disk then extend the main partition to fill up remaining space. I have had similar issues to this when cloning oem machines.

I thought I had cloned to the whole disk but to be honest after using AOMEI initially and it not working - I found the language in Macrium Reflect a little confusing - do you think re-doing it might help as it seems to have gone haywire in that it has added partitions to the drive.

Thanks so much for your help.
Vikki

Man of Honour
Ok so in reflect, pick your main disk and highlight it, a little menu will pop up underneath and you will have the option to clone (highlighted below), make sure all the check boxes are ticked as in this image:

Click that and a menu pops up, make sure the tick is in the disk at the far left

Click next and you will get a schedule, if you click back again it shows you what it will do with the target disk:

Click next right to the end and then select finish

Job done. When rebooted you can extend the disk into unallocated space.

Associate
OP

Hi
Its Windows 10 not windows 7 although we do have a windows 7 system disk from before we updated to windows 10
Thank you
Vikki

Associate
OP
I am getting a warning box saying that the disk geometry is different to the target disk - i have two choices either to select the source geometry (recommended) or to select the destination geometry.
Last time I selected the recommended because it says if you are booting in the same or identical pc the other is for transfering to another pc

Thank you

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Does it matter that the two original disk drives in my system are the old type IDE drives i.e. the Master & Slave drives?

Don
Does it matter that the two original disk drives in my system are the old type IDE drives i.e. the Master & Slave drives?
Yes it does.

You may need to check in the bios to see what mode the sata ports are in. Set them to IDE mode for the first image boot.

What I would do is remove all drives from the system besides the old drive and new drive. Macrium clone. Then remove old drive.

Now look in bios to modify drive data mode.

Failing that, the macrium boot disk a ''fix boot" tool with it.

Associate
OP
Yes it does.

You may need to check in the bios to see what mode the sata ports are in. Set them to IDE mode for the first image boot.

What I would do is remove all drives from the system besides the old drive and new drive. Macrium clone. Then remove old drive.

Now look in bios to modify drive data mode.

Failing that, the macrium boot disk a ''fix boot" tool with it.

This is from the bios

Back
Top Bottom