Closed back equivalent of the Phillips Fildeio X2?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
tbh with them being my only closed pair i'll keep them. i just need to start using my open sets and finalise my choice

Good idea, closed cans are always nice to keep and with the DT-770 there so popular and have replacement parts always so will be good for a life time really.

Caporegime
Good idea, closed cans are always nice to keep and with the DT-770 there so popular and have replacement parts always so will be good for a life time really.

I don't know why you are waiting for xm4's the xm3's never brought anything new tbh over the xm2 and then they will a year after bring out xm5's.

Just get the xm3's in the January sales.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I don't know why you are waiting for xm4's the xm3's never brought anything new tbh over the xm2 and then they will a year after bring out xm5's.

Just get the xm3's in the January sales.

Will keep an eye out for them for sure, I think I may end up with 3-4 HPs and then do some proper A/B testing to find the ones I prefer and keep just 1-2 and sell rest of them off.

Associate
That has always been something I desperately miss going with closed backs the lack of sound stage, but I have read the DT770s are meant to be pretty decent sound stage wise. Do you know any other closed backs that offer sound stage ?

Am tempted to try the DT770s and also AKG 371s out also
As previously said, I own DT770, currently use Sennheiser Game One but have now gone for the Philips Fidelio X2HR which is coming soon so I can offer you a comparison on soundstage between the DT770 and the X2 when I receive them and try them out. I will be utilising both with my GSX 1000 USB DAC/AMP.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
As previously said, I own DT770, currently use Sennheiser Game One but have now gone for the Philips Fidelio X2HR which is coming soon so I can offer you a comparison on soundstage between the DT770 and the X2 when I receive them and try them out. I will be utilising both with my GSX 1000 USB DAC/AMP.

thanks please let us know your thoughts on them also in regards to details, mids and soundstage.

Associate
thanks please let us know your thoughts on them also in regards to details, mids and soundstage.
So i wrote this in the GSX 1000 thread, but here you go

So i have three different headphones/headsets to compare that I currently own. The Philips Fidelio X2HR, the Sennheiser Game One's, and the BeyerDynamics DT 770. The first two are open, the last closed.

Both the Phillips and Sennheisers have a much wider and open soundstage, I've been using open back headphones for so long I had forgotten how closed in a set of closed ones like the DT 770's feel, and that is a closed back headset with what is considered a good soundstage for a closed back set.

I've tested the Philips over the last couple of weeks but was comparing them to my memory of the Sennheisers i switched from, and the DT770 I was using a long time ago. So in order to refresh my memory I utilised a few tools to test them out:

First is the Rein practice mode in the Overwatch workshop:

Basically i stood still and with a Reinhardt spawning anywhere in 360 degrees around me, have to turn as soon as i hear his ultimate voice line to where I think he is according to the sound cue coming from the headphones. Tried this with all three, they are all very good for imaging and positioning of where the sound is coming from which means the GSX 1000 is giving them good information which they are reproducing accurately. I'd say it was not as clear with the DT 770 but i don't think i was any better with the others, it was more that I knew more consciously where to turn with the open back sets whereas it was more unconscious decision making with the closed back set.

The soundstage is way more open with the Fidelio and Game One's compared to the DT770.

I then used this virtual barber shop with all three:

For this I turned off 7.1 processing in the GSX 1000 and went to straight 2.0. Each headphone accurately reflected the sound and where it was coming from but it was clearer with both the Fidelio and Game One's. In my opinion the Fidelio has a wider soundstage than the Game One's. However, the Fidelio X2HR is noticeably bassier than the Game One's and even the DT770's. The bass is powerful and rich, noticeably more weighted and stronger than the Game One's. It took some getting used to and I think possibly reduces some ability to pick out details in the high end like footsteps. The Game One's are much more neutral.

On a comfort basis, the Fidelio's are comfortable but are significantly heavier than both the other pairs. The Sennheiser Game One's are the lightest, easily, even with the DT 770 without a mic, followed by the DT 770 and then the hefty Fidelio X2HR.

That being said they are all comfortable, I'd say the Sennheisers are most comfortable and being open don't heat up your ears as much as the DT770's do or any closed back set. The Fidelio's I think are a little warmer than the Sennheisers and are heavier, but still comfortable to wear.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So i wrote this in the GSX 1000 thread, but here you go

So i have three different headphones/headsets to compare that I currently own. The Philips Fidelio X2HR, the Sennheiser Game One's, and the BeyerDynamics DT 770. The first two are open, the last closed.

Both the Phillips and Sennheisers have a much wider and open soundstage, I've been using open back headphones for so long I had forgotten how closed in a set of closed ones like the DT 770's feel, and that is a closed back headset with what is considered a good soundstage for a closed back set.

I've tested the Philips over the last couple of weeks but was comparing them to my memory of the Sennheisers i switched from, and the DT770 I was using a long time ago. So in order to refresh my memory I utilised a few tools to test them out:

First is the Rein practice mode in the Overwatch workshop:

Basically i stood still and with a Reinhardt spawning anywhere in 360 degrees around me, have to turn as soon as i hear his ultimate voice line to where I think he is according to the sound cue coming from the headphones. Tried this with all three, they are all very good for imaging and positioning of where the sound is coming from which means the GSX 1000 is giving them good information which they are reproducing accurately. I'd say it was not as clear with the DT 770 but i don't think i was any better with the others, it was more that I knew more consciously where to turn with the open back sets whereas it was more unconscious decision making with the closed back set.

The soundstage is way more open with the Fidelio and Game One's compared to the DT770.

I then used this virtual barber shop with all three:

For this I turned off 7.1 processing in the GSX 1000 and went to straight 2.0. Each headphone accurately reflected the sound and where it was coming from but it was clearer with both the Fidelio and Game One's. In my opinion the Fidelio has a wider soundstage than the Game One's. However, the Fidelio X2HR is noticeably bassier than the Game One's and even the DT770's. The bass is powerful and rich, noticeably more weighted and stronger than the Game One's. It took some getting used to and I think possibly reduces some ability to pick out details in the high end like footsteps. The Game One's are much more neutral.

On a comfort basis, the Fidelio's are comfortable but are significantly heavier than both the other pairs. The Sennheiser Game One's are the lightest, easily, even with the DT 770 without a mic, followed by the DT 770 and then the hefty Fidelio X2HR.

That being said they are all comfortable, I'd say the Sennheisers are most comfortable and being open don't heat up your ears as much as the DT770's do or any closed back set. The Fidelio's I think are a little warmer than the Sennheisers and are heavier, but still comfortable to wear.

Cheers for the in-depth review, was always curious how the DT-770s perform, I think one day I will have to grab them even with the massive amount of cans we have on offer.

Back
Top Bottom