Closing Ceremony & Olympic Inspiration

Soldato
Even though he is a complete tool, if you are including Brand, there should have been a clip of Andy Grey booming out "London , take a bow son".

We rocked. The closing ceremony was a nonsensical mish mash. That will fade from memory and instead the classic moments will remain.

I am personally gutted at the vacuum in my life now that the greatest show on earth had left my doorstep. Our nation united and focused on sport and human drama was a beautiful thing.

Man of Honour
Thought the closing ceremony was ok, seemed to drag on a bit and was way too late finishing really. It was never going to live up to the opening event. Like others, I thought Jessy J with Queen and Annie Lennox were a bit cringe worthy otherwise I thought the event was ok. Good to see Madness there of course and hats off to Gary Barlow too.

Certainly going to be a dull week in the office and it was weird passing the stadium this morning. Didn't see one person and the gates are eerily empty and covered up.

Man of Honour
Was a good result for GBR, actually an amazing result, but it's setting them up for disappointment in Brazil, I doubt we will get anywhere near this medal haul, gold particularly, with the different conditions.

Soldato
Should have used that new fangled hologram technology to bring Freddie to the stage.

Brian + holographic Freddie would have been fantastic. Even just that small video of him had the crowd going more than most of the other artists.

Jessie did a pretty good job, but got too sing too much. I was pleasantly surprised at the beegies trio cover, I don't like any of the artists that much individually, but it seemed to work.
The kaiser chiefs cover of the Who was the best I've heard.
Elbow were great, but why did the organisers decide to play three songs that had already been performed afterwards? Surely they could have thought of some original songs to play during the inevitable overrun of the athletes procession.
Brands bit was ok, but should have been cut shorter.
Fatboy slim went on for too long as well.
Pre-elbow, it was just dire.

Oh and Bhangra idle? Best comedy moment of the Olympics by a mile.

Overall it was a good ceremony, but one that I will quickly forget.

Commissario
Soundtrack details:

'A Symphony of British Music ' Music For The Closing Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games'

CD1
1. Urban Voices Collective ' Because
2. Julian Lloyd Webber, LSO, Stomp feat. Timothy Spall' Salut d'Amour
3. Madness ' Our House
4. Massed Bands Of The Household Division ' Parklife
5. Pet Shop Boys ' West End Girls
6. Ray Davies, Urban Voices Collective, LSO ' Waterloo Sunset
7. Emeli Sandé ' Read All About It
8. David Arnold ' Parade Of Athletes
9. Elbow, LSO, Urban Voices Collective' Open Arms
10. Elbow, LSO, Urban Voices Collective ' One Day Like This
11. Kate Bush ' Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God Remix)
12. Toby Pitman, David Arnold, Pete Lockett, Rahda Meta, Prabhat Rao, Varun Verma, Bilwa Iyer, Urban Voices Collective, Eos Chater, Tania Davis, Elspeth Hanson, Gay-Yee Westerhoff ' Here Comes The Sun
13. David Arnold ' Medal Ceremony
14. Queen ' Bohemian Rhapsody (Excerpt)

CD2
1. John Lennon, Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir ' Imagine
2. George Michael ' White Light
3. Kaiser Chiefs ' Pinball Wizard
4. David Bowie ' Fashion
5. Annie Lennox ' Little Bird
6. Ed Sheeran, Nick Mason, Mike Rutherford, Richard Jones, David Arnold ' Wish You Were Here
7. Russell Brand, LSO ' Pure Imagination
8. Russell Brand, Bond ' I Am The Walrus
9. Fatboy Slim ' Right Here, Right Now
10. Fatboy Slim ' The Rockafeller Skank
11. Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz ' Medley: Price Tag / Written In The Stars / Dynamite
12. The Bee Gees featuring Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz ' You Should Be Dancing
13. The Spice Girls ' Medley: Wannabe / Spice Up Your Life
14. Eric Idle ' Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
15. Muse ' Survival
16. Queen' Queen Medley: Day-O / Brighton Rock
17. Queen and Jessie J We Will Rock You
18. The London Welsh Male Voice Choir, The London Welsh Rugby Club Choir, LSO ' Olympic Anthem
19. LSO ' Extinguishing The Flame
20. Take That ' Rule The World
21. David Arnold ' Spirit Of The Flame
22. The Who ' Baba O'Riley
23. The Who ' See Me Feel Me / Listen To Me
24. The Who ' My Generation

Yes, I'll have that.

Caporegime
OP
Should have used that new fangled hologram technology to bring Freddie to the stage.

Sent shivers down my spine listening to a live crowd reply to Freddie, must have been a very emotional moment for the band.

Last time that happened must have been during his tribute gig, I really hope Freddie was watching down on us cause we still love and miss him :(

Associate
It was quirky, but it was British and I have to say I loved it.

Mixing old with new, some may dislike it, but in the name of fun and enjoying a great occasion I really can't find enough in me to complain much about it.

I'd have preferred another song by Muse, I'd have preferred the Floyd to be there in person, I'd have preferred actual Oasis and a Freddie Mercury hologram doing don't stop me now, we are the champions and we will rock you (despite the insane cost of all this). Not having any of it didn't ruin the moment though, it was an epic event and we delivered a great closing ceremony/party.

The lighted seating of the stadium was incredible, everyone will be wanting to do that now. In fact the entire stadium was amazing throughout and literally lit up proceedings all night.

It wasn't a flawless night, but these things never normally are. We put on a great show and you'd have to be a real soggy blanket to moan over it instead of just being happy and enjoying the moment.

I actually think one of the highlights for me was Take That. I've never been a particular fan of them and I don't remember hearing that song before but at that moment, on this occasion and in that stadium I thought it was truly brilliant and I totally loved it.

Overall on the Olympics themselves I thought we outdid almost every expectation put upon us and gave the world one of the best Olympics of living memory, if not the best.

The performances of the athletes, the venues, the volunteers, the community, the crowds, team GB's success and the BBC's great coverage were all fantastic and I was completely hooked from start to finish.

It was definitely a British Olympics and it was certainly a great Olympics. We should be proud of all of it.

I sincerely hope we see a positive and lasting legacy from these games.

Caporegime
I was disappointed by it, mainly because there was so many apparently obvious 'if only...' moments that really would have finished it off nicely that quite a few people have already mentioned.

Freddie needed at least the same treatment as Lennon, if not more, any of his live performances would have been fitting. I dont agree with what performances were chosen, but they were never going to please everyone. Loved Eric Idle and The Who especially...

Honestly do think the last few weeks have made a small impact on my life or the way I view things, 'being British' just felt like an off-the-cuff phrase of yesteryear but whats happened and how the athletes, volunteers and public rose to the occasion have added some personally meaning to that phrase that Ill never forget...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom