Cloud backup and storage (Linux friendly)

Soldato
I currently have all of my files saved in OneDrive, and I am pretty happy with the service, but they do not provide a Linux client, so I'm on the look out for something similar. Are there any Linux friendly cloud backup and storage services out there? I have a Google G-suite account with unlimited data which I could use. But I also want to hear about other options.

Associate
Google Drive doesn't have an official client but there are quite a few open source options. I've used Grive a while ago and it worked ok but there are probably better options these days like Insync or RClone.

Jin

Jin

Associate
I grappled with this issue 2 years ago when I moved to Linux due to work. (Was using onedrive personally).

OneDrive doesn't have linux sync, open source solutions didn't exist either.
Dropbox dropped support at some point although still functional for now. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Future-Support-for-Linux/td-p/292412
I don't know about Gdrive but I don't think that was easy either

I ended up going with Open Source solution "NextCloud", basically dropbox clone. Nextcloud has client for Linux, Mac, Windows.

You can either use one of companies that provide this server, or host the software yourself on server you rent. I pay $80.12 for 3TB storage per year.

Typically NextCloud option is more expensive compared with massively good value storages like OneDrive but you probably have better privacy also.

If you're after purely backup there'll be more options then "sync" type of services.

Associate
Ditch your Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox.

The best linux options:
Rclone
Syncthing
Nextcloud
Synology
FREE NAS
DIY NAS Home Server
Rsync
Just to name a few

Soldato
OP
Since I'm already a subscriber to ProtonMail I decided to go with ProtonDrive which I've just got beta access to. Its meant to be getting a Linux client in the very near future which will solve the issue completely.

Associate
Since I'm already a subscriber to ProtonMail I decided to go with ProtonDrive which I've just got beta access to. Its meant to be getting a Linux client in the very near future which will solve the issue completely.
I also have protondrive beta not tried it due to the high cost per gig , for cloud i use Acronis cloud backup and also backup to a dell T20 in the spare room.

Soldato
OP
I also have protondrive beta not tried it due to the high cost per gig , for cloud i use Acronis cloud backup and also backup to a dell T20 in the spare room.

I'm hoping you'll be able to purchase extra storage for a reasonable amount of money. 20GB which is what I have on the Visionary plan is not going to last all that long.

Associate
I'm hoping you'll be able to purchase extra storage for a reasonable amount of money. 20GB which is what I have on the Visionary plan is not going to last all that long.
I moved over to Protonmail to get everything away from google, I use their prontonvpn also currently just taken out a 2 year subscription on the special offers, I like the way if you upgrade that add on your current payments remaining.

Associate
As someone that works in security and has to respond to severe audits. Never backup to cloud or to an infrastructure you don't control.

Nextcloud (although a pain)
FreeNas
Or a simple NFS on an old PC with external drives, that you pull offline when backup is done, is much safer.

Back
Top Bottom