Permabanned
Hello,

I thought I would just let people know about a free VPS Google are doing at the moment. You can spin up linux servers. You get £300 free credits and you can use it for as long as you have credits.

If you use the default selected you can play with the services for a while without any cost as long as you remember to cancel.

Brilliant if you just need to so some app testing or something or just have a general play about with a cloud vps if you are new.

https://cloud.google.com/

Question: Does anyone know if there’s any other free trials kicking about?

Last edited:
Soldato
They’ve been doing it for a long time, if you happen to pay for GSuite for business you get the same deal, and unlimited storage, with the added benefit of data from the GCE instance not being counted towards any limits in place.

Soldato
What sort of hardware/connection do you need? GCE is decent, you can also (legitimately) get an obscene amount of AWS for not a lot if you know where to look. TBH I made my peace with paying a few quid a month for a VPS or dedicated server in a DC a long time ago for most things, the connectivity alone is worth the price of a pizza each month.

Permabanned
OP
What sort of hardware/connection do you need? GCE is decent, you can also (legitimately) get an obscene amount of AWS for not a lot if you know where to look. TBH I made my peace with paying a few quid a month for a VPS or dedicated server in a DC a long time ago for most things, the connectivity alone is worth the price of a pizza each month.

light stuff really, 1vcpu, 1GB ram I’ve seen a lot of VPS stop doing free trials because people been abusing the services.

Soldato
Hetzner Cloud is stupidly cheap for your need with 10Gbe connectivity, fast SSD and fast cores, for €2.49/m I wouldn’t waste the time messing about with anything else personally.

Soldato
Does Hetzner instances have fixed IP available?

You get a dedicated IP, if you for example destroy and rebuild the instance, you would be allocated a new IP iirc, but they have/had an option of your own dedicated IP for a few € from memory.

I don't fancy hosting in Germany or Finland. :)

You didn’t mention a geographic bias, perhaps if you explained the issue/usage I can suggest a more suitable option? Germany’s not open minded about adult material or anything that could upset a rights holder, beyond that it’s fast/cheap/low latency for most test environments. France is a little more open minded (OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and Scaleway/Online/1P), I used to have issues with Online/1P’s network on the low end stuff, but recent experience suggests it’s improved if you avoid the - known to be problematic - very low end dedicated stuff.

Permabanned
OP
You didn’t mention a geographic bias, perhaps if you explained the issue/usage I can suggest a more suitable option? Germany’s not open minded about adult material or anything that could upset a rights holder, beyond that it’s fast/cheap/low latency for most test environments. France is a little more open minded (OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and Scaleway/Online/1P), I used to have issues with Online/1P’s network on the low end stuff, but recent experience suggests it’s improved if you avoid the - known to be problematic - very low end dedicated stuff.

I suppose if it's cheap then that's all that matters. Can't go wrong with the price for the hardware you get really. I never mentioned it as I was quite open on location. My current Google ones and Amazon ones are scatted in location.

Back
Top Bottom