CMD line detailing Codec info?

Soldato
Hello All,

I've just got a Dolby Atmos receiver, problem is I can't easily identify the films I have with Atmos sound tracks, apparently I can run a command prompt that will detail this? Trouble is I have no idea how to do it! Can anyone help me out?

I've got a file with a few hundred films in, really want to avoid searching individually.

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tip, but I'm struggling with this...

How can it be this hard to output metadata information for all videos in a folder.

Can anyone walk me through it?

Cheers

Associate
The command line is derived from very old DOS prompt commands from a time waaay before metadata was really a thing to be concerned about for average uses. The dir command just isn't equipped to burrow into file data like that. Hence the more complex powershell commands and syntax being developed to handle more complex calls.

Other alternative is to use a media browser program where you can select the columns of data to include the audio codec, and in that view sort by it.

Soldato
OP
The command line is derived from very old DOS prompt commands from a time waaay before metadata was really a thing to be concerned about for average uses. The dir command just isn't equipped to burrow into file data like that. Hence the more complex powershell commands and syntax being developed to handle more complex calls.

Other alternative is to use a media browser program where you can select the columns of data to include the audio codec, and in that view sort by it.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, can you recommend a media browser program or let me know the code I'd need for power-shell?

As ever any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Use MediaInfo. You can open a whole folder of files at once and it has a "sheet" view listing the video/audio codecs used for each file.

I just gave it a quick go...

wVmGeXm.png

Back
Top Bottom