• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Coil whine of 6800xt

Associate
Yesterday I installed Sapphire 6800xt reference card and I was expecting a bit of coil whine in benchmarks.
When I launched games and pushed the graphics with unlimited FPS I was surprised quiet a lot, coil whine was still there.
The coil whine noise is definitely louder than fan noise (maxes at 1600RPM in stock setting).

Here is a recording, after a second I jump out from menu to the game and the whine starts. The whine is louder than it sounds in the video.

https://streamable.com/g615fl

There is a better recording of this from Hardware Canucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fs0yByc8EA&t=371s

Anybody else experiencing this?

Update:

Better recording of the sound...
https://streamable.com/q25bb7

Last edited:
Soldato
Using Radeon Chill set both sliders to 2FPS lower than your monitor FPS, for example on a 144hz monitor set both sliders to 142

See if that improves it, it might stop the FPS from going into crazy numbers and causing some of the coil whine

Associate
OP
I have 1080, 60Hz screen, but I was trying to test the it under full load. I tried 4K using the Virtual Super Resolution which dropped the game to 80FPS, the noise is still the same.

Associate
OP
Sure, it solves the issue. But that will utilize about 20% of the GPU, which doesn't push it at all. Once I get a faster and higher resolution screen in a week or two the issue is gonna come back.

Permabanned
Sure, it solves the issue. But that will utilize about 20% of the GPU, which doesn't push it at all. Once I get a faster and higher resolution screen in a week or two the issue is gonna come back.

You don't know that until you have the screen.
If you feel the noise is too bad your within your rights to RMA the card. Best of luck getting a replacement

Associate
If the new screen you're getting is higher resolution then it won't be getting the same high framerates so the risk of coil whine is greatly reduced.

Associate
OP
Update.

Running RM750x, no problem there.

Tested other games. SOTTR most notably has coil whine even at 1080p Vsync on 60Hz. It is not as loud compared to running Witcher 3 at 230fps or Heaven bench but still at 70-80% and the biggest noise out of the system.

GPU often runs 500-1000RPM in FPS capped games which makes the coil whine even more audible.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well it is honestly a bummer. I finally got a nextgen graphics thats efficient, quiet (fan noise-wise), well cooled (for a reference card) and actually a good deal compared to Nvidia offerings right now, plus I am able to use SAM. (I know it is a small deal in most games and even less relevant than DLSS). Just if it weren't for those loud squeeky sounds all the friggin time. I haven't imagined to be bound to my ANC headphones when using my perfectly quiet desktop....apart from the friggin GPU.

Caporegime
I have 1080, 60Hz screen, but I was trying to test the it under full load. I tried 4K using the Virtual Super Resolution which dropped the game to 80FPS, the noise is still the same.
How many more FPS do you need for a 1080P 60HZ monitor?

Your graphics card is massively overpowered for the resolution, so coil whine is not that surprising - assuming none of your other components (PSU, Motherboard) are to blame.

Use Vsync or an FPS cap. Having GPU utilisation locked at 99-100% is not actually ideal, and you would be better served by having it at around 90--95% maximum.

Associate
OP
I am giving up on this thread. I am gonna test it at 4k60hz tomorrow on a tv and then on tuesday when my 34UW/144Hz arrives. I assume the result is gonna be the same, most audible part of the whole system - friggin coil whine from the GPU. But hey, if I am wrong, I am going to be the happiest guy here.

Caporegime
I am giving up on this thread. I am gonna test it at 4k60hz tomorrow on a tv and then on tuesday when my 34UW/144Hz arrives. I assume the result is gonna be the same, most audible part of the whole system - friggin coil whine from the GPU. But hey, if I am wrong, I am going to be the happiest guy here.
Godspeed, Neky.

Back
Top Bottom