Coincidences

Man of Honour
OP
Arcade Fire said:
Weren't they Stoke City DVDs though? It makes it sound a little less impressive if so. ;)

Yes they were but it was the horror film that we first searched for and it was the only copy on Ebay.
When we saw the SCFC DVD's we wondered if the seller lived in Stoke but obviously he could be anywhere in the world.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I was sitting in registration on the second day of uni and thought 'I know that person' (was staring at the back of their head).

Turns out it was a girl in my college class back home - we never spoke to each other in the class and ended up at the same uni.

Last time I was in Sydney, I bumped into a schoolmate in the botanical gardens and then in the same week some people from Brighton on the tour of the Blue Mountains, not only Brighton, but my smaller home town.

When I got home, a few months later I was in the local bank and I saw an old school friend who said I had met some of his mates in the Blue Mountains.

Random.

BB x

Soldato
Went to the intro lecture at uni when i started, started speaking to the guy next to me (first person at uni id spoke to other then people i already knew) got chatting, exchanged emails - he noticed the "McDaniel" in the email and said

"McDaniel...from OcUK Forums?"

i was like, err yea!

turns out it was NathanE

Soldato
robmiller said:
When I was about 13 or 14 I got talking to a girl in a chatroom who turned out to live down my street - it was weird saying

Where do you live?
UK!
Me too! Whereabouts?
Cheshire
Me too! Whereabouts?
Oh this small town near Crewe
Wtf me too whereabouts :/
Alsager...
Wtf me too whereabouts?!

Not very big but still... of all the chatrooms in all the world :)

used to live there myself. was quite a while ago though

Associate
this one isn't really a patch on yours. but...

this guy i hang round with on my maths course at leeds uni has a girlfriend. anyway, she came to visit him last year and came on a night out with us. talking to her, turns out she's best friends with my ex girlfriend (who i went out with while we lived in ipswich) and they do occupational therapy at UEA together.

not that interesting, but a strange coincidence. small world and all that.

Soldato
I promised I would post this morning, its taken me this long to write it all up ;)

Right, coincidence number one…

When I was 12, we had our summer holiday in Florida, and on one particular day, we went to the Magic Kingdom… and it absolutely poured it down with rain. So we all took shelter in a nearby restaurant. As we were sat waiting for the rain to stop, a guy was sat next to my mum who was convinced he knew her. My mum just thought it was an old man trying to chat her up… it happened to be a guy we met in St Tropez only the summer before, and he had been there every summer for the past 20 years, he just fancied a change this year, and we all happened to be in the same place, same time, sheltering from the same storm...!

Coincidence number two…

Going back to when I was about 9, and it was over the summer holidays, my mum said she would take me and my bro swimming. We had it set for the Wednesday, but couldn’t make it, so went a day later. When we were there, I heard someone shout my name, it was Lucy Fairhurst… we went to the same school in Malawi, and my family had only left the year before. Our parents didn’t keep in touch so we had no idea what they were up to, Lucy had been sent to boarding school only a few miles down the road from us and was visiting Mansfield for the day… of all the days, of all the swimming pools etc etc…. :p

There have been more, but these two outshine any of my others :D

Associate
Here's a crazy one,

About 5 years ago or more I used to play the game Team Fortress Classic, and there was this kid who i infected with a trojan at the time (who played TFC).

5 years later, and hes in my tutor at uni (5 people out of a 200+ physics course)...AND another person i met on IRC is in my tutor as well.

Also a girl who was in my hall, went to primary school with the trojan guy.

Soldato
A while back vix started making her own jewelery and selling it on eBay. When she made her very first sale I noticed that the buyers name looked familiar. By complete chance the buyer was the sister of one of my best mates from childhood who still lived at the same address just a few doors down from my mums.

Caporegime
This one was quite a sad one (and I mean sad as in upsetting, not lame)

School mates, all of us had been friends for 4 years, some longer etc. etc.

Just after GCSE's (12 weeks holiday woot!) all of us except one lad (Lee) were out and we popped round to Lee's house to see if he fancied joining us in town centre or summin.

Whilst we were waiting for Lee at the door, this bloke comes up the garden path. He takes one look at my mate and his face drops.. he turns completely white and says "Hello, Chris" (my mates name)

Chris was surprised.. this bloke who he didn't know, knew his name..

"I'm your Dad."

First time Chris had ever seen his Dad.. turns out Lee is Chris's first cousin, Lee's mum is Chris' Auntie (Sister of Chris' dad)

For nearly 5 years Chris and Lee had known each other, without knowing they were family. Chris and Lee's Mum's did not know, either, even though they knew each other well (had worked together for a number of years!)

Soldato
in my first year of uni, i lived in a campus house. also in the same house were a guy and his sister's best mate. totally by chance.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Not me perosnally but my m8 was working in the United Arab Emrates over the summer when he was a student and he bumped into a m8 of ours from school. Turns out he was a diver and was stopping over at the airport for another flight to work on some oil riggs.

Soldato
Had a couple of wierd ones - first was discovering that my nan's phone number was one digit removed from my wife's nan's phone number (e.g. 020 1111 1111 and 020 1111 1112), spooky!

Also bumped into a university friend while wandering down a tiny alleyway in Rome.

Oh and had a waitress at a restaurant in Colorado who had lived in the same street as me in the UK!

Soldato
Friend of mine met a nice lass down his student union. They got on well together and met a couple more times, it was then that they both found out that they played World of Warcraft, more to the point, they'd been going on raids together in the same guild for months and hadn't realised.

Man of Honour
OP
HOLY THREAD REVIVAL - I knew I had a Coincidence one somewhere :)

Anyway, last night my band are sitting at a table and in walks a friend with a page printed off the net from here - http://www.statusquo.co.uk/erol/ (halfway down the page is a guitar pendant, click on that and its the £85 one).
Our rhythm guitarist is a massive Status Quo/Rick Parfitt fan and that is the pendant Parfitt wears on stage and he wants one.
We'd been passing the printout back and forth when a bloke on the next table opens up his shirt and shows us the exact same pendant with Rick Parfitt signed on the back :eek:

Soldato
When i was about 12 or 13 ish can't really remember what age. My family and i were going on holiday to canada. This was also the first time i had flown in a big aeroplane. Luckily my father new some people who worked for BA at the time, and managed to get me and my brother and himself up onto the flight deck.

(Back in the day when this was allowed) Luckily i was allowed to sit on the flight deck for the landing as well.

Anyhow, we had been in canada for two weeks, and for the third week we where heading to the mountains to go skiing. We ended up at a small ski resort called sumgglers notch, in vermont.

One night our family decided to go swimming in the resort's indoor pool. My father and i went to sit in the hottub. We sat down in the hot tub, and of all the people in the world jesus was there. Nah jk, it was actually the pilot. small world.

Funnily enough he was actually going to be flying us home as well....

Associate
we were in holiday in skiathos a few summers ago - there is huge yacht (or small cruiser) moored up in the harbour - the Leocri III - with an Isle of Mann flag flying off the back of it.
the next year, we were in Rhodes - and moored in Rodos harbour - the Leocrie III - complete with Isle of Mann decals!
My mum went up and asked one of the guys on the back of the boat - were you in skiathos last year? and indeed they had been - it turned out that the year before skiathos they had been in corfu at the same time we had been too :)

Soldato
One of my friends studying here in prague with me has this thing about picking up girls on facebook (lost of them lol) he randomly adds girls he finds interesting, gets talking and takes it from there.

So he is at Prague airport on his way to Syria (his home), adds this other Syrian girl to his face book account, who happens to be online Turns out she was also sitting in the same airport in Prague weighting for a flight (both of them where using laptops/wifi in the airport)

Associate
I love stories containing synchronicities (meaningful coincidences). One of my favourites involves Sir Antony Hopkins and I managed to find this link to it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/johnmont/archive/2006/04/28/581668.aspx

And the story, for those that can't be bothered clicking:

The British actor Anthony Hopkins [who shot to fame as Hannibal Lecter] was delighted to hear that he had landed a leading role in a film based on the book The Girl From Petrovka by George Feifer. A few days after signing the contract, Hopkins travelled to London to buy a copy of the book. He tried several bookshops, but there wasn't one to be had. Waiting at Leicester Square underground for his train home, he noticed a book apparently discarded on a bench. Incredibly, it was The Girl From Petrovka. That in itself would have been coincidence enough but in fact it was merely the beginning of an extraordinary chain of events. Two years later, in the middle of filming in Vienna, Hopkins was visited by George Feifer, the author. Feifer mentioned that he did not have a copy of his own book. He had lent the last one - containing his own annotations - to a friend who had lost it somewhere in London. With mounting astonishment, Hopkins handed Feifer the book he had found. 'Is this the one?' he asked, 'with the notes scribbled in the margins?' It was the same book.

Man of Honour
A few years ago I was in my bathroom and I had the name Yuri Gagarin in my head (for no real reason). I couldn't shake it off so I went downstairs and asked my Dad "Who's Yuri Gagarin?! I know the name but can't remember who it is!". He was playing the teletext quiz game "Bamboozle" and the question was "Who was the first man in space?"...

Back
Top Bottom