1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold boot problem.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Siders77, 24 Mar 2006.

1. Siders77

Hitman

Hey.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my PC at the moment. It all started when I installed a new version of Windows. After my PC's been on all day (From say 7:30 to 11) I shut it down to go to bed. Now in the morning I boot it up. It goes through all of the memory tests and the IDE tests etc, but when it comes to the "Verifying DMI pool data" it doesn't do anything. When it first started doing it I left it for about 10 minutes and it was still on that screen.

Now to get into Windows I have to go into the BIOS and change the boot order. Before it was CD ROM, HDD. Floppy.

Now they're all disabled so it boots properly. But when I boot it up tomorrow I can almost guarantee that I'll have to change the boot order again. :(

And ideas of what could be doing this? Cheers.

2. Siders77

Hitman

Sorry to bump so soon but does anyone know what could be up? :(

3. FartBandit

Gangster

Are any of the other BIOS settings reset also?

4. Siders77

Hitman

Nope, The only thing I've changed in the BIOS is the boot order. I'll clear the CMOS and see if that helps.

5. FartBandit

Gangster

what i meant is that when you cold boot are any other BIOS settings reset to default? If they are then this is indicitive of a BIOS battery issue.

6. Siders77

Hitman

Oh right, sorry. :o

Nope, everything's fine in the BIOS. Nothing resets AFAIK.

Because I have watercooling I'm not using the CPU fan header so I have to dis-able the beeping in the BIOS. That's why I don't think it's re-set.