combining diff voltage mem?

Associate
Evenin peeps. Got 4 gig (2x2) of OCZ3P13334GK in my Asus m4a79xtd evo mobo, was thinking of upping to 8 gig but can't find the above anymore. else it's over £100.

q1 The following seem to be cheap here, 2x2 gig of OCZ3G1333LV4GK. But they're of a lower voltage & poss timings are different. Maybe 666 instead of 777. Could this present a problem combing with the above? (wish 2x4 gig would come down in price instead tho).

q2 Anyway using win7 64bit & gtx460 1gig. I was just wonderin if 8 gigs instead of 4 would stop the occasional pauses/(loading from hd) you get in Mafia 2 etc. Or would I be wasting my cash? (nah ssd isn't an option until the next time I reinstall windows).

q3 While on the subject, assuming you only play games & not into graphical/video stuff etc, if you had 8 gigs, would you turn off virtual memory? Wondered if windows would still use swap file when perhaps it may not need to with this much memory? No point in gettting loads of mem if games are still pausing while accessing virtual mem still.

TIA & Tnx for reading my book.

Associate
Different voltage and timings would probably cause a problem.

4gigs is usually enough for most people and gaming, if its loading from the hard drive that causes the pauses, more ram won't solve it

I'd probably just leave it on

Associate
OP
Guess I will leave it for now then & someday invest in an ssd. Tho with g-cards mem getting larger this surely means more system mem is being reserved for it hence leaving less of that 4 gig with each g-card mem upping? Ah the pains of pc'ing.

Anyway, thanks AndyH.

Associate
Guess I will leave it for now then & someday invest in an ssd. Tho with g-cards mem getting larger this surely means more system mem is being reserved for it hence leaving less of that 4 gig with each g-card mem upping? Ah the pains of pc'ing.

Anyway, thanks AndyH.

Not if your running a 64bit os.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks for that. Didn't realise that. System requirements lab seems to think my 1 gig card has 2.7 gigs of memory. Thought it was seeing "reserved" memory as well. Oh well guess that's another story.

Soldato
Best thing I ever did in XP days when I had 2GB was disable virtual mem!:) Even though I never used that much RAM for any task, windows would page to disk anyway if you dont use something for a while (say a minimised app). Maximise the app and its disk access time! All that disappeared when I disabled virtual mem. If it's in memory it stayed in memory :). Have yet to experiment with the same in Win7.

Associate
OP
This was my thoughts/fears. Dunno why I didn't just disable it & find out for myself when playing (eg) Mafia. Will try it one day when an appropriate game comes along again. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom