1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combo unit quit working

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by v4honda, 6 Feb 2006.

1. v4honda

Associate

When I boot up my laptop I get the following error message;

Devices or applications disabled
    'CD recording software' will cause windows to become unstable.
    Windows has prevented these drivers from loading.

Please, please, please can someone help me cure this or point me in the right direction of a website where I can download drivers for my CDRW/DVD combo drive. My original drivers appear to have become corruptand as a result Windows XP will not allow them to load. This then prevents me from reading or writing files from/to the drive.

I have the original drivers on my OE CD that came with the laptop, but because the operating system wont load the drivers I am then unable to re-install the drivers from the OE CD. I have also networked my laptop to another PC and tried re-installing the drivers using the CD drive on the network but again no success.

Either the drive is completely knackered (which i very much doubt) or Windows is being a complete pain in the arse (which is very likely).

The laptop is an Advent 7048 P4 2.8GHz

The CDRW/DVD combo drive is a QSI SBW242B

So do you think its fixable? and if not would replacing the drive fix it? If so where can I get a replacement drive?

Before any posts a reply saying there is a fix on the Microsoft website for that particular error message, I have already tried it step by step with no cure :(