Comments on console chipping or other piracy related talk.

Soldato
I own neither, but out of interest, are the newer consoles xbone and ps4 chipped like their old friends used to be, or does the need for online remove such things from being performed?

Soldato
I have no love for 2nd hand game shops. They're parasitic.

They are a God send if you have younger kids. Can pick up games only a couple years old for pocket money prices. Kids arent old enough to mind if its not the latest games.

I am talking as a buyer rather than a seller - I don't sell to these places because you don't get much money back. That probably makes me a hypocrit but as a buyer it's as cheap as you can get, saving me money.

Interesting discussion on older games which resonates with me. There are so many old amiga or mega drive classics that no one is ever going to make any money from again, as probably nobody would pay for them in any great numbers if they were for sale. Yet they maintain a nostalgic factor that means every now and then I fancy cranking one up. I doubt anything would ever come of this for any individual user. Basically there is no loss.

Caporegime
Interesting discussion on older games which resonates with me. There are so many old amiga or mega drive classics that no one is ever going to make any money from again, as probably nobody would pay for them in any great numbers if they were for sale. Yet they maintain a nostalgic factor that means every now and then I fancy cranking one up. I doubt anything would ever come of this for any individual user. Basically there is no loss.
I have no problem with emulation, personally.

The old hardware is no longer sold, and existing units will steadily degrade and fail. Eventually there will be no working hardware, at all.

Without emulation, many old games will simply vanish off the face of the planet. And I'm not sure how that benefits anyone.

The audience for such old games is mostly nostalgia seekers anyhow. People who never experienced those consoles the first time around probably have limited interest in going back to see what their parents were playing ;)

I'd say I'm pretty much in favour of emulation. It's a form of historical preservation.

Soldato

I love retro gaming was really keen on the Evercade, that's emulation but still (hopefully) making some money for the devs of old.

I don't really need another system but I never had an Atari Lynx and always wanted one, now the Lynx collections are out I'm so tempted to pick one up to play California Games and Blue Lightning.

Back
Top Bottom