Comments please on my proposed upgrade.

Associate
Hi there,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my system comprising an Intel E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Badaxe2 mobo, 2Gb ram and Geoforce 8800GTX. The main reason I want to do this is because I want to run FSX at extreme settings. No other game stresses my system, i.e., Crysis, Hell's Highway, etc. FSX is processor and memory demanding and I'm fairly sure that my 8800GTX is adequate so I'm looking to purchase the following and sticking with my current GFX card until something substantially better comes along...

Intel "Yorkfield" Q9550.
Intel DP45GRS motherboard.
4 Gb DDR3 RAM.
Vista Premium 64bit

I'm not a heavy overclocker, my current CPU runs at 3.2Ghz with all voltages at default. I was hoping to reach something like 4Ghz with the Q9550 without having to resort to too much tinkering with voltages and using an AC7 Pro cooler. Is this realistic?

I'm firm in my choice of the Intel DP45GRS mobo as I've been very happy with my current Badaxe2 so suggestions not sought on this.

As for memory I thought I'd take the leap to DDR3 and to move to Vista Premium 64bit. I'd welcome comments on the choice of 4Gb DDR3 (budget circa £200 for memory). The other issue that concerns me is the stability of 64bit drivers. I've avoided the move to Vista until now as XP has served me well. I've run the Microsoft Vista compatibility test and no issues have been highlighted by that. I'm fairly certain that all my hardware is Vista compatible. I guess I'm looking for no more than a little reassurance, that by embarking on Vista 64 I won't be spending too much time frigging about with my system.:eek:

Thanks for your attention

Associate
Vista as an OS is now becoming more popular as far as 64bit version is concerend the bugs with the drivers have all but been sorted
There are still the odd issue usually when nvidia/ati release new drivers usually to sort out bug in old one's
However with 4Gb of ram theres no point in going for a 32 bit version.

Back
Top Bottom