Commuter - New Car

Associate
Hi Guys,

I commute quite heavily - approx 25k a year, 600 miles a week on average.

I currently drive a 2.0 306 HDI which is nearing about 130k at the moment. My girlfriend has a car as well.

Most of my 'cash' is needed elsewhere for other things at the moment but I have disposable income each month and was thinking about getting a new car perhaps for the commute.

I'm thinking approximately £300 - £400 for either a car loan or finance on a car?

I could either;

• Buy a new car for the commute (in this case, what would you reccomend?)
  • Buy a fun weekend car and another car for the commute, selling my girlfriends car and letting her use the weekend car during the week? (she only travels short distance?)

• Or any other suggestions?

What's out there at the moment and is car finance a good idea?

Man of Honour
So wait for it to go pop, then get something else. The mileage you are doing will crucify the value of whatever you buy, so a brand new car really isn't a great idea.

Associate
OP
:confused:

130k for a 306 HDI is nothing.

Best get that cambelt done then :p

That's fair do's then - just something that I was thinking about since I had some disposable, might contemplate picking something up for my girlfriend instead - I guess it's a fair point that picking anything up to do 30k a year in would crucify any potential resell.

Man of Honour
Very few people will do more than 30,000 miles a year. It's what the first owner of my car did and why it was counted as 'high mileage' :confused:

Associate
OP
Going on a 5 day week, that's 120 miles a day, 60 miles each way. It's not a great deal and it's certainly not enough to worry about making a car on 130k go pop and spontaneously combust.

Considering my previous job entailed 6 miles a day / 30 miles a week + whatever I did at the weekend then it is a fair whack mate!

Soldato
My friends HDI is over 200k now, all he does is put diesel in it and service it pretty much. Run it till it blows up imo, you will be hard pressed to find a car that is as cheap to run.

Soldato
I would say it all rests on what the Pug is like. You know the car, is it a turd or a good runner? Have you looked after it, serviced it appropriately and does it have history? The other thing is, are you going to get anything better for the dosh? Keep it tbh.

Soldato
A 406 HDi might be a little easier to live with, perhaps? 306s fetch more than their 406 counterparts so could prolly get a 406 executive just from the cash yours generates.

Or you could just stick with it as you know it :)

Soldato
406 is heavier though isn't it? So in theory less MPG etc. and the car could then be a dog too. I'd say stick with the 306 until you have the cash to buy something better. :)

Back
Top Bottom