Company of heroes beta may come out today!

Soldato
Andr3w said:
Im in a 15minute que

so what exacly is it? A first person shooter like cod/bf2? etc

If its the game im thinking of then no, its a detailed RTS. WW2 theme. Dont know if its traditional RTS style though.. buy buildings troops etc with harvested materials? but someone mentioned DOW so maybe its buy more troops by holding positions on the map.

Associate
yep the map is divided into zones, each zone has a point you can capture which generate either manpower, fuel or ammunition. Which can then be spent on units and upgrades ect.

Soldato
The game's practically the sequel to Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2 - a fantastic WW2 RTS. If this game is like S:HOWW2, then it should be nothing like DOW...

-RaZ

Soldato
Just played through tutorial and so far its been fantastic! DoW style of play with call of duty style graphics from a birds eye view. If the full game is any better then this Beta, its gonna sell really well. Its also been said that Dawn of War 2 will be using this engine when it gets made.

You get your resources by controlling strategic points like in DoW but there are 2 types instead of 1 (fuel points and munition points). Fuel is used for vehicles and munition for unit upgrades and abilities.

I really love the new cover system though it takes this RTS to a whole new level.

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm just watching video.google's.. atm, look intresting.

faces of wars not bad, looks nice but is rather sluggish which is a bit off putting. how are you chaps finding the perfomance of this game?

Associate
malc30 said:
I have had my first game. :D
I must resist the urge to smiley i must i must.
Seriously guys this is quite amazing. My head cannot get around what's going on at all it is afraid beyond my tiny brain.
I am noob of noobsville from the planet noobezoid. It's incredible though and i will have to overcome the huge learning curve. My opponent a friendly dude i met in chat was loads better than me and those that have gotten into the DOW series have a huge advantage at this early stage. Saying that i learnt loads in that first game and the dude helped me out plenty. Because of my noobness i had no chance and told the dude to steam in, i sat back and watched my army getting mowed down and offered as much resistance as i could. After he had invaded and tanks had mashed my main buildings he lost connection and i was given the Victory :p
Then the game CTD whcih was a damn shame to be honest but i did my duty and sent of a mail.
This has serious potential i must say as the 3v3 will be superb with 6 cool players.
By the way i went for the terror options in Commander, God knows whether that will prove beneficial.
What's needed is a few blatant noobs playing wars between themselves to build overhall individual tactics and 3 player team tactics for 3v3's.
I can't wait.

Hi - its me Dai from that game :)

was a lot of fun, also yes knowing the mechanics of DoW is a massive boost to your ability to pick up and play this game - and I quit the game at the end as it was on annihilate and that would have meant going around capping all those points which I couldn't be bothered doing :)

would love to play you again sometime.

On the game itself to anyone who is thinking about this or has just heard of this, it is THE most refreshing RTS game since Total Annihilation (whether you liked TA or not you have to appreciate its place next to what it came out around at the time).

The tactical depth of this game really is amazing, first of all rushing is not possible, so no joining game against some guy who knows some crazy build order who is going ot be coming into your base to kill all within 2 minutes.

This is done by a very strong design that
a) massively makes the gameplay ultra immersive and brings anyone playing straight into a sense of commanding the battlefield
b) doesn't give you units capable of taking on a HQ unless you get more resources, which requires you to cap sectors, which you can cap any of but to get the resources from you need the ones ajoining your main block of territory.

This majorly stops the top players being able to utterly dominate lower skilled players (my first go of this game was a 2v1 vs me as my ally dropped and I held out for ages based on my use of squads) This means no mass spamming of units, everything has a plain and sensible counter, which requires you to push up and control sectors through cover and manouver rather than zerging.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Cheers for dropping by Dai, i hope you like the forums.
Not been able to play today because of the server problems. Will keep trying though. Loads of folk are having the same problem and apparently it was like this last weekend as well.
I'm not bothered it's Beta and when it ran it was like silk so i'm sure these minor issues will be resolved.

Soldato
-- About the lag problems --

I had my first game against somebody today, they were in the closed beta at the start,they were telling me because of the sudden increase in players (from about 80 to 700+) the sever has bascially died and is struggling, so until they restart the sever andget a patch out it will be abit dodgy!

Should be ok in a day or two

Soldato
Andr3w said:
-- About the lag problems --

I had my first game against somebody today, they were in the closed beta at the start,they were telling me because of the sudden increase in players (from about 80 to 700+) the sever has bascially died and is struggling, so until they restart the sever andget a patch out it will be abit dodgy!

Should be ok in a day or two

Thats definitely the case for me, if you play earlier in the day at times of inactivity its fine.. its only been since the Americans have woken up today i have had any troubles and it is the datastream from the server.

Soldato
Goberpiles316 said:
I have got a key from fileplanet and installed the game, when do you get asked to enter the key? I cant seem to access online play for some reason.

From the menu, multiplayer.. online.. then you set up your account.. be aware though that there are problems with the Relic servers being overloaded and so it may be disrupted at the mo.. when you make your online account you will be asked to input your key.

Soldato
gord said:
From the menu, multiplayer.. online.. then you set up your account.. be aware though that there are problems with the Relic servers being overloaded and so it may be disrupted at the mo.. when you make your online account you will be asked to input your key.
play with me dam you

Soldato
Tutorial seemed like fun. Quite similar to Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (which I loved) but not as realistic (i.e; my sherman can't take 4 hits from a Panzer IV!).

Soldato
Just been playin, unfortunately one of our guys quit.. :(

But the lobby is uber quick.. so its either the Americans that are ruining it or theyve fixed the servers a bit.

Soldato
I've had a few games this morning and it has been good fun! It always crashes when i finish a game and try to get back into the lobby :(

If anyone want to play i can host some games, i've got a 1.3mb up.

Back
Top Bottom