Company's Right to Cancel

Man of Honour
I'm not sure on that... if theres any overlap with the unsolicited goods act they deffinatly couldn't... but under certain circumstances I think they do have a right to pursue it and could take it to a small claims court.

Man of Honour
This is not correct. Companies are obliged to honour the prices they advertise (otherwise they could just lie in all their price labels); however an exception is granted for "good faith errors" where the price offered is "clearly unreasonable". It's questionable that a £120 for an Xbox 360 is a price that a reasonable person would consider so absurd as to be clearly wrong; whereas if, say, they'd advertised a £4000 telly for that price it would have been.

There have been, needless to say, numerous court cases over this; especially since internet sales came into being.

We could be talking slightly at cross-purposes but I was taking it as a given that this was a pricing error (or good faith error) rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead. It's also one that would be fairly obvious to someone looking to purchase an Xbox 360 Elite I'd have thought which is why I'd say they are under no obligation to sell it to you at that price - they might choose to but that's an option available to them rather than a legal requirement.

Soldato
This is not correct. Companies are obliged to honour the prices they advertise (otherwise they could just lie in all their price labels);
They're not - it's an invitation to treat, not an offer - as many have mentioned. See Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Chemists

I'm not sure how lying on all their price labels would be of any benefit if they then refuse to sell at that price? :confused:

Unless we're at cross purposes and you're simply saying that if they accept the order at a given price, they can't then charge a different price afterwards?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom