Comparable screens to iMac 5k

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a dev machine that doesn't (seemingly) need to be particularly impressive in terms of PC hardware, but what I would like it to have is the ability to drive at least one 5k panel akin to the iMac 5k range. I spend all day reading code, and I'd love it to be as sharp as I can make it.

I've read some articles courtesy of @mickyflinn in the HW Newbies forum, but it seems like 5k seems more difficult to attain than I'd assumed it would be.

I've seen screens like this one: https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/msi-prestige-ps341wu that fit the bill for 5k but seem to have a few drawbacks in terms of build quality (considering high price!) and the fact they want £1k just for the panel before I've even started building the machine.

Is there anything comparable in PC land yet, or should I be trying to make do with a decent rate HDR / 4K 60hz screen?

Cheers in advance,

K

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Looking for alternatives, I can't find any. Looking for something around 32" that has at least HDR600, 4k capability, and maybe USB-C / Display port 1.4 / HDMI 2.0 without someone saying 'HORRIFIC BLEED' or 'BLURRY'.

Any suggestions?

Bonus points if you pick something that is in stock anywhere in the country :D :p

The alienware aw3420dw only ticks a few of these boxes, but I do have an deal on my amex card where if I spend £750 I get £100 off, so this screen would be £650.

My uses are mainly looking at lots and lots of source code, but HDR content would be nice.

Soldato
There's the Dell U4021QW but it doesn't have HDR600.

Another option could be the MSI PS341WU but apparently the USB-C power delivery isn't sufficient to power a laptop.

edit/ there's also the LG UltraWide 34WK95U

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks mate. The mental thing about this is you've mentioned a seemingly decent screen there in the 34WK95U, yet I'm seeing 'end of life' and 'out of stock' next to it everywhere, but no shops are going "by the way, this was superseded by this brilliant screen - xxx" - Frustrating isn't it! :(

Man of Honour
@Karl taking it back to your thread, monitors i think your going to choose which you prefer best to read some reviews of each befote ypu decide. Ips v va , etc.

As for the m2 drive not showing in the bios update the the firmware on your m2 drive and then the bios on the motherboard.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows and is there any windows on your old drive ?

Soldato
OP
I saw your post on the items I have purchased thread. This monitor is currently in stock and looks like it fits your requirements:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-15f-lg.html

No idea how good it is however. Perhaps someone on here with a bit more knowledge about monitors can give their view.

cheers for thinking of me, appreciate it!

this one’s been mentioned a couple of times, I’ll have a read, thanks mate.

@Karl taking it back to your thread, monitors i think your going to choose which you prefer best to read some reviews of each befote ypu decide. Ips v va , etc.

As for the m2 drive not showing in the bios update the the firmware on your m2 drive and then the bios on the motherboard.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows and is there any windows on your old drive ?

cheers man, I did flash the bios on arrival, even though the box said 5000 ready, as I thought I’d just get it done anyway.

I didn’t know you could flash the m2 drive firmware itself!!! I’ll have to read up on how that’s done.

The old drive was formatted and partitions deleted on install, but when it first went in to the PC, it did have an old copy of windows on it. Would that still have any bearing?

Man of Honour
cheers man, I did flash the bios on arrival, even though the box said 5000 ready, as I thought I’d just get it done anyway.

I didn’t know you could flash the m2 drive firmware itself!!! I’ll have to read up on how that’s done.

The old drive was formatted and partitions deleted on install, but when it first went in to the PC, it did have an old copy of windows on it. Would that still have any bearing?
Maybe but i think that its more for boot selection problems its just something to note if it reoccurs.

Try the firmware update if available.

Soldato
I’ve just bought an M1 Mac Mini to replace my 2017 27” iMac so I’m going through the same scenario as you are.

I bought a Dell U3821DW but that is being returned as the drop in PPI is very noticeable. The iMac is 218 PPI whereas the Dell is 110 PPI, so a 50% drop roughly.

I’ve now bought a Benq PD2700U which is the same resolution as the Dell but on a 27” screen instead of a 38” so the PPI is much higher. The PPI is around 165 so still lower than the iMac but it looks so much better than the Dell.

I’m running the Benq at 2560x1440 as running it at the full resolution made things look tiny.

I’ve decided to return the Dell and order another of the Benq monitors to use side by side.

There’s also a 32” version of the Benq monitor but the PPI drops to around 130 which I think would be quite noticeable which is why I didn’t bother trying it.

Back
Top Bottom