Complete change of heart - new priorities, new spec me

Soldato
OP
The comment about not being able to wipe my nose without asking was insulting, but never mind.

Apart from the really depressing 1.8i, they're all turbocharged.

The 2.0T gives a nice balance of power and running costs - averaging mid 30s mpg wise is easily doable. Servicing intervals are 18k or 2 years and dont cost much - insurance costs were favourable too. I did consider a C class, but they were all older/lower spec/higher mileage/dogs for the same money.

I put the Saab in very much the same ballpark as the Volvo that I had previously considered, just with a bit more poke and a better badge for someone my age

Soldato
OP
Well after a rather long day, leaving Exeter at 7am I got home with the new car at just gone 4... (no Fox, it wasnt just around the corner :))

I'm absolutely delighted, this car just suits me so well. Will do a thread when I get some good pictures taken.

It made the journey home absolutely effortless, so quiet and refined. More importantly, sod the 0-60 figures - the way this thing acellerates makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. Coming through the many 50mph roadworks on the M5, I kept looking forward to seeing the NSL sign at the end so I could plant it, let it kick down to third and the silence turns into a lovely growl with a backdrop of turbo whistle. Awesome, love it :)

The tech is pretty damn good too, some very clever features, most of which I'm still figuring out with the very thick manual. Despite having a little play now and again, I still average 36mpg on the way back which is not too bad at all.

More importantly, as someone who is pretty quiet and reserved in person (yes, really), I don't want a car that projects a strong image. A lot of cars I looked at project an image one way or another, be it positive or negative - but in this one, I feel...right :)

Back
Top Bottom