Complete change of heart - new priorities, new spec me

Man of Honour
I do just fancy a change, I've had the Mondeo for a few years now and I'm bored of it. It's done me just fine but I want a change.

The stuff on your list isn't exactly loads more interesting is it?

Keep the Mondeo, spend a month in New Zealand.

Soldato
OP
From the list it looked looked like you were after something quicker and possibly more interesting. At motorway crusing speed a 4 pot deisel isn't that much worse than a smallish (<3l) petrol in terms of refinement. Id' be looking at a Volvo or Saab, with a low pressure turbo and without low profile tyres, if I just wanted something comfortable and fairly refined.

Faster, yes - but not for blasting around country roads, more motorway capability.

The Volvo S40 T5 is one of the favourites at the moment, ticks quite a few boxes

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16163314 said:
The stuff on your list isn't exactly loads more interesting is it?

Keep the Mondeo, spend a month in New Zealand.

Not really but it will cure an itch for a little while as they're all going to be a bit better in almost every respect.

I can make this sort of change now and still do the travelling I want, but if I bought something like a 330ci, I'd want to make sure I had a grand in the bank just in case - that's the money I can spend travelling and the difference in running costs can go into savings

Soldato
If the car is only going to last you 3 years what does it matter what you get? How much more is the 3 year running cost of a £7.5k BM going to be compared to the 3 year running cost of a £7.5K Volvo?

Soldato
OP
If the car is only going to last you 3 years what does it matter what you get? How much more is the 3 year running cost of a £7.5k BM going to be compared to the 3 year running cost of a £7.5K Volvo?

Realistically, about a holiday a year

Associate
Faster, yes - but not for blasting around country roads, more motorway capability.

The Volvo S40 T5 is one of the favourites at the moment, ticks quite a few boxes

How fast do you want to go on the motorway though? The acceleration difference between something with 140bhp and 280bhp doesn't make much difference on the motorway as you just get held up by the car in front a little bit quicker.

Soldato
Surely the running costs of a 330CI aren't going to be a million miles off of some of the stuff you've listed above? :confused:

Providing nothing goes wrong the differences are going to be negligible, and if something does wrong wrong well it could have happened on any car...

Soldato
OP
Surely the running costs of a 330CI aren't going to be a million miles off of some of the stuff you've listed above? :confused:

Providing nothing goes wrong the differences are going to be negligible, and if something does wrong wrong well it could have happened on any car...

Quite possibly, but that's why I asked, having never run any of the above cars it's information I dont have.

I can imagine something like an Accord costing a fair bit less to run, and the likelihood of something going wrong being much less than the BMW or the Mondeo. That combined with more comfort, refinement and equipment does seem worth it to me

Soldato
not really sure I'd do what you'd like to do.

I have a passat, and there's been SO MANY times I've thought about a nice newer Passat 2.0T (shock!) or something like a Mondeo 2.5T, basically anything and everything between £8k-£14k.

But fundamentally, I want a 2 seater or a sports coupe (370Z, 335i etc), or even a sport saloon, however, I am also saving for a house, and £3k-£5k I'd spend on upgrading (if you call it that) to something newer and updated isnt really worth it, as I'd still want that £30,000 sporty number, which I can afford and finance right away. But have other priorities.

In my situation I'm not willing to compromise, at least, not at the moment.

But thats my 2 cents, I wonder if it fits in with what you're doing.

If anything, I would go along with the 330. If it was what I wanted it's pretty much there on a plate, from your other post you'd be dead chuffed with it, and running costs wont be astronomical unless you have a dog on your hands.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16163408 said:
The S40 is a Focus platform car, what makes you think it will be more comfortable and more refined than a Mondeo?

Better seats and a more refined engine, although I dont know what the ride quality and sound levels are like.

Man of Honour
:confused:

That's odd coming from you.

Why?

It's a smaller car with a shorter wheelbase in the top 'Sporty' trim. It's going to have sports suspension, low profile wheels - I see no reason why it would be more refined and more comfortable than a Mondeo by any sort of noticeable margin.

Soldato
OP
not really sure I'd do what you'd like to do.

I have a passat, and there's been SO MANY times I've thought about a nice newer Passat 2.0T (shock!) or something like a Mondeo 2.5T, basically anything and everything between £8k-£14k.

But fundamentally, I want a 2 seater or a sports coupe (370Z, 335i etc), or even a sport saloon, however, I am also saving for a house, and £3k-£5k I'd spend on upgrading (if you call it that) to something newer and updated isnt really worth it, as I'd still want that £30,000 sporty number, which I can afford and finance right away. But have other priorities.

In my situation I'm not willing to compromise, at least, not at the moment.

But thats my 2 cents, I wonder if it fits in with what you're doing.

I think I'm probably in the position you'll be in 2 years down the line. I've already saved and bought my own place. I had a fling with a "heart" rather than "head" car (Alfa 156 v6) before I moved.

I thought I wanted something like a 330ci as it was clearly better in every regard than what I've got. But I realised it wouldnt get the use it deserved, nor would it prove value for money for the same reason.

The "upgrade" I'm thinking about isn't anything exciting, as I said above it's really just more of the same. If I can improve on what I've got in the areas that matter to me, while improving reliability and not costing me any more to run, then I'll be a happy bunny

Just buy an MX5 and burn around having fun and keep your current car :p

I've barely got room for one car, let alone 2 :D

But as above, I'll have free access to an MX-5 when I want it anyway

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16163446 said:
Why?

It's a smaller car with a shorter wheelbase in the top 'Sporty' trim. It's going to have sports suspension, low profile wheels - I see no reason why it would be more refined and more comfortable than a Mondeo by any sort of noticeable margin.

I think from all of the posts I've read from you regarding Platform sharing you seem to think that Two cars can be completely different despite sharing the same platform (and quite right in most situations!).

It is then odd to here you say that a S40 is likely to be less refined and comfortable than his Mondeo because it shares the platform with the Focus. Surely the platform sharing has nothing to do with anything?

Man of Honour
I think from all of the posts I've read from you regarding Platform sharing you seem to think that Two cars can be completely different despite sharing the same platform (and quite right in most situations!).

It is then odd to here you say that a S40 is likely to be less refined and comfortable than his Mondeo because it shares the platform with the Focus. Surely the platform sharing has nothing to do with anything?

There is still basic stuff to take into account - generally speaking shorter wheelbase and smaller car does not make for more refined motoring. Usually the opposite is the case?

Back
Top Bottom