Complete change of heart - new priorities, new spec me

Man of Honour
Thats the thing with them though, sometimes you have a long run, sometimes you don't. When I got mine it ate about £600 in repairs in the first year and then nothing went wrong for 2 years, for example. And this week I'm about to shell out 400 quid again :p

He clearly isn't the sort who is going to get the socket set out so everything that goes wrong goes to the local dealer - the costs soon mount up. It's worth all the hassle and fiddling about if you love the cars but from his threads I just dont think he does.

A 330Ci is the right car for you (if we ignore the silly house deposit stuff :p) but I dont think it is for him.

Soldato
I bought myself a a new socket set the other day :D ...just need to get a trolley jack and a few other bits and bobs hehe.

Soldato
Fair enough I haven't really read any of his threads I just presumed from how everyone (including OP) was talking that he really wanted a 330ci.

So to spend more money on a car that isn't actually better or wasn't what he really wanted seemed a bit daft.

Soldato
OP
The thing is, I dont want a step up in class and some of the cars posted are newer generations that my Mondeo, so really dont see the problem

Caporegime
I would, but I dont want to pay to run it - so I'll settle with an upgrade in terms of performance, equipment and comfort

Will you attain all three of those criteria with an accord (the best compromise on the list, the rest are IMO not even worth considering)? Well assuming you are only describing comfort at the durability of the seating, rather than the interaction with the controls and their subsequent quality I guess it's possible, but if comfort involves the entire package then no I don't think you will.

I still maintain that getting a 330i/ci/d is the best way forward. They aren't that costly to run.

Soldato
OP
Will you attain all three of those criteria with an accord (the best compromise on the list, the rest are IMO not even worth considering)? Well assuming you are only describing comfort at the durability of the seating, rather than the interaction with the controls and their subsequent quality I guess it's possible, but if comfort involves the entire package then no I don't think you will.

I still maintain that getting a 330i/ci/d is the best way forward. They aren't that costly to run.

I just went to have a look at a Volvo V50 2.4 - was really impressed, a lot of car for the money and ticks the boxes I'm looking to tick.

It's not so much the predictable costs of running a 330, it's the fact it would be a few years older and higher mileage than my current car so the risk of something going wrong would be increased to the point where I'd want to keep some money to one side for it

Soldato
OP
Why don't you save for the next 2-3 months and then buy a 330ci, knowing that you have 2-3 months worth of savings as a back up for when things go wrong.

As per my posts above, I could afford to do it, but I dont want to be spending my money on repairing cars.

A bulletproof warranty would be one way of doing so, but I dont know if many are worth even considering

Caporegime
I just went to have a look at a Volvo V50 2.4 - was really impressed, a lot of car for the money and ticks the boxes I'm looking to tick.

It's not so much the predictable costs of running a 330, it's the fact it would be a few years older and higher mileage than my current car so the risk of something going wrong would be increased to the point where I'd want to keep some money to one side for it

If you think a Volvo is going to be much cheaper to run than a similarly specced BMW, then you are probably mistaken/misinformed.

Secondly why do you care that it's a few years older?

Man of Honour
The thing is, I dont want a step up in class and some of the cars posted are newer generations that my Mondeo, so really dont see the problem

Nothing you have posted so far is a newer gen car? s40 came out in 04, XType in 01 and the Accord in 02?

Caporegime
I find my volvo totally boring and uninvolving.

Its ok, but its a stop gap while i work my butt off at work and earn a payrise and a promotion or two to start affording that champagn taste i like.

Maybe the mondeo diesel is just as boring, i've never driven one. But i really wouldnt recommend one over a 330.

i know ive got an S60, but from what ive read the S40/ V50 range is just as boring to drive as the S60/ V70 range

Soldato
As per my posts above, I could afford to do it, but I dont want to be spending my money on repairing cars

You're going to run into this risk, regardless of what car you do decide to purchase, if any. I acknowlege stuff like Accords have a better chance of not throwing up big bills though, can still happen.

Suggest you hold off for a few months, think Mr_Tommo suggested similar. Use the time to see if anything that tickles your fancy does turn up (and ticks all the reliability boxes via inspection, service history, chatting with previous owner, etc). I wouldnt settle for a car that you *might* like (for your budget).

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if holding out is going to be any better - the amount I want to spend (note, not the amount I can afford to spend) buys a 330 that is about 2 years older with higher mileage than my Mondeo. I know you always buy on condition, but it does appear we're looking at bottom of the pile here.

MrLOL - I know the Volvos aren't exactly exciting but that's not what I'm after - remember there's some excitement I can borrow for the rare occasions when I can make use of it. The Volvo was very nicely equipped, much more comfortable and generally a nice car to drive. I've narrowed it down to 2, possibly 3 cars

- V50/S40 T5 or 2.4 - the book mpg for the T5 is into the 40s, but being the same engine as the Focus ST, will it have a similar notorious thirst for fuel (and turbos!)?

- Skoda Octavia vRS - would put it in the same league as the ST220 (?) but with better economy and is still a change. Can go underbudget and still get a 2005 car with low mileage.

- Honda Accord 2.4 - haven't driven one yet as the local dealer only had a derv, but the interior was much better than I remember.

I'm relatively easily pleased - I would be more than happy with something like the Volvo for the next few years on the basis that it's a nice place to spend my commute (nicer than the mondeo) and I can satisfy my driving urges elsewhere.

So please guys, lets try to keep this away from my justifications - pretend I've just come here saying I want a car for 7k that's comfortable, well equipped and cheap to run... Any thoughts on my shortlist?

Soldato
- Skoda Octavia vRS - would put it in the same league as the ST220 (?) but with better economy and is still a change. Can go underbudget and still get a 2005 car with low mileage.

I love these! Get one!

But when I drove one it really did feel like a hatchback compared to the Mondeo. It's just the features of the interior and the seats, cabin space etc. Road noise also! The Mondeo ST220 will definitely feel 'bigger' and more refined.

Soldato
OP
I love these! Get one!

But when I drove one it really did feel like a hatchback compared to the Mondeo. It's just the features of the interior and the seats, cabin space etc. Road noise also! The Mondeo ST220 will definitely feel 'bigger' and more refined.

I guess the feel of it is quite subjective, I need to go have a look at one. Used to own a Toledo a few years back, so this should be similar space wise. I notice none of them have a central armrest though :(

Noticing my budget is just touching the new shape ones, albeit the very cheapest high mileage ones....that's one car that I might hold out for if they seem to be dropping much more

Man of Honour
Only buy a vRS if its the new shape. The old one really is showing its age and IMHO is a downgrade from your Mondeo, it came out just after Ford introduced the Mk2 Mondeo!

Soldato
OP
In this instance, I agree with you - it's the older generation not the same one. The same platform as my old Toledo which was a V reg...

Hmm

Soldato
MrLOL - I know the Volvos aren't exactly exciting but that's not what I'm after - remember there's some excitement I can borrow for the rare occasions when I can make use of it. The Volvo was very nicely equipped, much more comfortable and generally a nice car to drive. I've narrowed it down to 2, possibly 3 cars

- V50/S40 T5 or 2.4 - the book mpg for the T5 is into the 40s, but being the same engine as the Focus ST, will it have a similar notorious thirst for fuel (and turbos!)?

Volvo's are some of the most comfortable cars i have ever sat in, that said, the ones i have been in are the big ones (S80 + V70). I'm fairly sure the S40 won't be as comfortable.

Secondly, lol, Volvo's aren't cheap to run. My parents have owned 7-8 of them over the past 15 years or so and some of the bill's they've had made me cringe. I see the book MPG figure as 32mpg for the S40 T5? Even then, you'll be lucky to get that - it'll be more around the 25-26 mark (depending on your driving/route).

In all honesty, the only difference in cost between a 330 and a T5 is likely to be insurance.

If you just want something comfortable, why not just get an S80? Why an S40?

Back
Top Bottom