Complete newbie...this is for my 15 yr old boy

Associate
Hi

I have a "gaming pc" that is 10 years old guys. Its a packard bell ipower 2.0 with 6gb of ram, intel core i5 cpu750 @ 2.67.Ghz lynfield tech. Im planning on upgrading the graphics card to ATO Radeon rx570....just so he cam play fortnight. Pc was given to me for free from a stranger. I know what im doing but not when it comes to gaming. I know fortnite specs....its for his 16th. Motherboard model - ipower g3610 (cpu 1) chipset model - DMI host bridge.....socket 1156. Done a bit of research and im just asking you guys for help....be nice, im new.
Ta fellas

J

Associate
Well adding the rx570 will help a lot. But lets not pretend that the rest of it is anything other than coffin dodger spec.
At least if you add the rx570 the now you can upgrade the rest down the line and still have a reasonable 1080p graphics card to use.

Associate
I dont know, whats the min spec for fortnite?

What OS is on the machine? 6gb of ram is not great but it may be enough.

Edit had a look and it just sort of squeezes in after minimum spec so should be ok but will not be as good as a more powerful machine.

Associate
Well adding the rx570 will help a lot. But lets not pretend that the rest of it is anything other than coffin dodger spec.

sorry, had to reply to this thread. lol, coffin dodger spec? I've currently got a win7 i7 920 with 6gb of ram and an r9 280 graphics card - cpu is probably about the same age as the i5 750. Yeah, i'm looking to upgrade to a new build. Anyway, that i7 920 build stills runs games like the division 2 (released a few months ago) just fine @1080p.

@ the OP - new graphics card should be a big improvement so would suggest trying that first and seeing how it goes (you may find you can get away with lower specs than fortnite suggests) before adding more ram etc... not to mention, finding extra ram which is compatible with the ram inside that build might not be too easy. Would also see how fortnite plays on win7 before deciding to upgrade the os.

ps, a definite improvement would be to add a cheap ssd unless that's already in the machine? It depends on the game (i don't play fortnite) but an ssd can make a huge difference to game loading times. It makes a massive difference in games like the division 2 and path of exile.

Last edited:
Associate
My lads just recently moved from a Q9550 with 8gb of DDR2 and a 7950 gpu.

It was playing all his games at 1080p fairly well till the GPU started acting up.

He will be on an i3 4130 with 8gb of ddr3 and a 1050ti as a replacement.
I will be suprised if it does not do 1080p.

Coffin dodger systems rool l

Associate
Lol i class my 5820k at 4.5 gigs well past it to be honest, i really need to get it upgraded as well - its not in a wooden box yet but the fat lady is singing and its due a cremation.

Back
Top Bottom