Completely new to PC gaming.

Associate
Firstly, thank you to anyone that takes the time to read and reply to this.

I am brand new to the world of PC gaming after being a long time console gamer but decided its time to take the next step.

I am looking for the best gaming PC i can get for a budget of around £1200. As i have literally no experience in building a computer ideally i was looking for a "pre built" machine. The problem being there are just so many out there i really don't know if i am getting value for money

I'm looking to play a lot of MMO type games if that makes any difference as well as some of the newer AAA games from time to time

If anyone could help me out, recommend anything thing out there it would be hugely appreciated

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x OcUK Tech Labs AMD Ryzen Midi Tower Gaming PC Configurator = £1,119.80
    • Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 2600 3.90GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Motherboard:MSI B350 Gaming Plus AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    • CPU Cooler:Raijintek Themis Black CPU Cooler for Ryzen
    • Optical Drive **Please Check Chassis Support**:Unwanted
    • Case Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P400 Midi Tower Case - White Window
    • Power Supply:Kolink KL-500 500W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
    • Speakers:Unwanted
    • Monitor:Unwanted
    • Gaming Chair:Unwanted
    • Soundcard:Unwanted
    • Network Adapter:Unwanted
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • M.2 Solid State Drive **For Operating System If Selected**:Unwanted
    • Solid State Drive 1:Kingston A400 120GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Hard Drive - (SA400S37/120G)
    • Solid State Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 1:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - *System Stock*
    • Mechanical Hard Drive 2:Unwanted
    • Headset:Unwanted
    • Keyboard:Unwanted
    • Mouse:Unwanted
    • Graphics:Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (ZT-P10700G-10M)
Total: £1,133.90 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Soldato
Which monitor are you looking at though? As that can determine what parts would be most suitable for the PC. If unsure, just state your total budget (PC + monitor) for recommendations.

Soldato
You can squeeze in a quality monitor that's on offer, if you go down the route of asking them to build this for you. Monitor is a very important part of your gaming experience.

Total: £1,450.72 (includes shipping: £15.90)

With the build fee, it could go to £1500 give or take.

I tried a few pre-built options but they don't allow all the choices available for graphics card on offer etc, and couldn't get the total down as much as this. Although someone else might have better luck. However, this would have a better PSU in it than the one some pre-builts have. Probably better motherboard too.

Customer Service forum is the place to ask.

P.S. If that 16GB 3000MHz RAM is out of stock for a while, ask them to swap it for this faster, and presently cheaper kit:

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually found a decent pre-built, Intel six-core i5-8400.

Total: £1,503.13 (includes shipping: £23.10)​

It includes Windows 10 and a 1TB HDD as well as the other stuff listed. PSU is meh but motherboard is ok and case is a nice Phanteks glass.

Associate
OP
Actually found a decent pre-built, Intel six-core i5-8400.

Total: £1,503.13 (includes shipping: £23.10)

It includes Windows 10 and a 1TB HDD as well as the other stuff listed. PSU is meh but motherboard is ok and case is a nice Phanteks glass.
Would the psu be an issue with this one? Would rather pay a little more if necessary to ensure it's okay

Soldato
Would the psu be an issue with this one? Would rather pay a little more if necessary to ensure it's okay

An issue in the sense that a better PSU has a better chance of lasting longer, as well as minimizing damage to other components over time. But the system, whether pre-built or custom-built, is all guaranteed for 3 years.

You could ask them to swap it for the SuperFlower 550 Plat in the other spec, for probably £30 extra. I would do that, not only for peace of mind but because the default PSU only provides 360W on +12v rail and you'd be hard pressed to run a more powerful graphics card with that when/if you upgrade card.

By the way, if you're planning on just gaming, the Intel i5-8400 is slightly faster in general. But if you're planning on streaming and other things which like more threads, then go with the Ryzen 2600. If unsure, go with the Ryzen 2600, because at 1440p monitor resolution, the difference between and Intel and AMD fps-wise is less pronounced than at 1080p.

Soldato
Total: £1,554.09 (includes shipping: £23.10)

Total: £1,521.07 (includes shipping: £23.10)

Total: £1,403.87 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Ocuk to build, should be £1500 mark

Total: £1,379.58 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom