1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complex mortgage question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanTheMan, 1 Oct 2009.

1. DanTheMan

Mobster

The scenario:

At the moment I live with my parents in rented accomodation, my nanna lives on her own in a house that's fully paid for. We all want to move into a house together with me being the mortgage holder as my nanna is retired and my parents have a terrible credit rating.

The house we want to move into costs £250,000, my nannas house is worth ~£120,000 and she has £70,000 to put down as a deposit so this leaves us needing a mortgage for £60,000 which sounds easy...

The problem is, if we put down a £70,000 deposit but my nannas house hasn't sold, that leaves us needing a £180,000 mortgage, there's no chance I'll get accepted for that on ~15k a year.

The thing is, even though I'm only on ~15k a year, the total household income would be around £4000 a month and we could easily afford the mortgage, it's just the fact that I'm the only one with a cat in hell's chance of getting a mortgage secured in the first place.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about moving?

2. Mat

Capodecina

Have you tried an independent mortgage advisor?

3. Vixen

Soldato

Are you sure that you'll even get a £60k mortgage if you're only earning £15k? You may find that you'll need to include at least one of your parents to make sure you get the full amount. I'd definitely speak to a mortgage advisor, they will know all of the products available and how much you're likely to get.

It used to be possible to get a bridging loan when waiting for a house to sell, it's a much higher interest short-term loan of the value of the second home. I don't know if you can still get them with the current situation but I think it's the sort of thing you need to be looking at.