1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Compatibility - First Time Rig Build?

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by STEinGUZZ, 26 Mar 2021.

1. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reading and I would really appreciate some advice from people with more experience than me

I am putting together a mining rig (for the first time) using the original components from an old Alienware X51 (R1). The components are:

Motherboard - Dell KMT92 (Intel H61)(LG1155 socket), Integrated Graphics.
    CPU - i7 3770.
    RAM - 8gb DDR3 (1600MHz).
    BIOS A03

I have the system up and running with a Corsair RM750 PSU and a 120gb SSD, it runs perfectly with no GPU fitted or with the original GTX555 (GPU) fitted.

***However, when I install the GPU I intend to mine with (Nvidia RTX 3060 TI Founders Edition) the system won’t boot, it powered up, continues to beep 5 times and shows no display??? The GPU fans are spinning and I’ve tried it plugged into a Ver 009 riser and plugged directly into the PCIE slot on the MB. I have since removed the 3060TI and computer will then start up as normal.

Is the 3060TI just not compatible with my set-up?

Do I need to try and update something else?

I’m assuming that the GPU is ok, so I’ve not gone along the route of putting it in my main PC.

thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice :)

2. chroniclard

Capodecina

Assume you plugged the PCI power cable into the 3060?

3. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Yeah, initially I had the riser powered by SATA and the 8 Pin PCIE to the GPU (12 Pin Adapter). This was with the GPU powered from a riser through a 1 x 4 PCIE adapter.

Then I tried with the GPU connected directly to the PCIE port on the motherboard.

Same out come, GPU fans spinning, 5 beeps (reoccurring) NO display.

Removed GPU, starts up correctly :(

4. Robi_uk

Hitman

5. STEinGUZZ

Associate

I’ll give that a try now, I’m really hoping I can get it up and running with these surplus components. I’ll keep you posted if it resolves the issue and thank you for your time.

6. STEinGUZZ

Associate

I just did a quick google for you, first likely solution I can see: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-beeps-after-installing-new-graphic-card.1729716/
    Someone had similar issue on a dell system, they had to disable secure start from BIOS.[/QUOTE]
    I’ve had a look and I don’t have that option in my BIOS.

I have done multiple tests today, I’ve tried it with 2 new GPU’s withe same symptoms.

1) If I have new GPU connected up, but display cable connected to MB for integrated graphics. PC doesn’t post, NO display and 5 continuous beeps.

2) If I have display connected to new GPU, PC displays BIOS screen briefly, then NO display and random single beeps, GPU fans remain spinning and lights on.

3) if I remove new GPU, PC starts correctly with either old GPU or no GPU and using inter grated graphics.

being new to PC building, I’m thinking the GPU may not be compatible with the older ITX motherboard?

7. Robi_uk

Hitman

You can try looking to see if there is an updated BIOS for your motherboard. I know with new CPUs you have to usually update BIOS even on boards with the correct sockets, not heard of having to update BIOS for a GPU before though. Saying that I have not had this issue myself so would not have looked into it.
    You can also see of you can find the manual for your motherboard and look up the error codes to see what exactly the 5 beeps mean.

8. STEinGUZZ

Associate

I’ve looked at the BIOS update option, the most current one is A14 (Dated Nov 2013). The one I’m running on is (dated Mar 2012) so I’m hoping/assuming an update wouldn’t effect it.

The 5 beeps information is conflicting. But based on the fact when I remove either of the new GPUs the PC works fine.
    I’m thinking their is a conflict between the new GPU and current system.

9. Jerry64

Wise Guy

have you reset the CMOS ie power down turn off the power supply take out the cell battery wait a few mins put battery back in power back up??

10. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Jerry, thank you for taking time to read and advise.

I’ve read about resetting the CMOS, which seems simple enough to do. In you opinion is this worth trying? Seeing has the PC starts up correctly when returning to old GPU or no GPU.

I’m very new to PC building, having only built 2 PCs over the last few months, but then moving onto building a mining rig, lol

11. no_1_dave

Soldato

Try resetting the cmos
    Make sure the power cable is connected to the graphics card (and check the PSU end of the cable is connected to the PSU correctly)
    Make sure display cable is plugged into graphics card
    Update bios (A03-A14 could include a lot of fixes)

12. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Dave,

Thank you, I’ll update BIOS and reset CMOS tomorrow and see if this resolves the issue.

From you experience should a modern GPU work with my motherboard?

13. no_1_dave

Soldato

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work

14. STEinGUZZ

Associate

I’m going to persevere tomorrow (I didn’t get around to trying it today).

Going to reset CMOS anD potentially change battery and try again. Ive been doing some reading today, like you say there is ZhO reason why it shouldn’t work.

15. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Update for anyone reading.

I could not get the old Dell KM92T (Mini ITX) motherboard to recognise the Nvidia 3000 series cards. I’ve since used a X570 and a Ryzen CPU and things are up and running.

I intend on trying to source a full ATX motherboard with LG1155 socket, to attempt to prevent using the higher quality components (Just for Mining).

thank you to all who tried to help me out :)

16. Smokes

Wise Guy

I'm currently using an HP Prodesk 600 that I got off that site for £40. Would need an ATX adapter to use the bigger PSU but I'm using it with a server PSU and 4x pcie riser cards. Works a treat for not many beans :D

Dell Optiplex 3000 series have 4 pcie slots too for similar money.

17. Zaf

Soldato

I've been using a ASUS N3050M-E which has an embedded Celeron (low power and fanless) it's only got 3x PCI-E but perfect for only a couple of cards. I use it for my test bench... got mine for £28 2nd hand

https://origin-www.asus.com/Motherboards/N3050ME/

18. STEinGUZZ

Associate

just to increase my knowledge, do you have any newish* GPUs running on this motherboard?

My old setup work just fine, I just can’t get it to post when a Nvidia 3000 series card is connected?

I’ve tried both ways, via a riser and plugged directly into the motherboard.

I’m not sure if it’s because it DDR3 or not.

19. Smokes

Wise Guy

Those look pretty cool, literally. I might just have to get hold of one!

20. Zaf

Soldato

I’ve only tried it with RX580, RX590 and GTX1080. I can try it with an RTX3080 but I’ll be honest I’m quite reluctant powering down my main rig at the moment sorry.