1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Compatibility - First Time Rig Build?

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by STEinGUZZ, 26 Mar 2021.

1. STEinGUZZ

Associate

No worries, don’t stop mining :)

I’m up and running, just that I’m now on a X570 and 3900x (which I was going to sell, if I could use the old components).

I’m only a small fry, so hoping to get 4 cards running (only have 2 at the moment). Hunting down the MSRP cards only, UNICORNs I know, lol

2. Zaf

Soldato

Make sure you get your head around your power requirements and do’s and don’ts e.g. don’t power your risers using sata!!

This was the biggest challenge I had after sourcing cards and wish I had spent more time investigating it first.

3. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Zaf,

I’ve got a few PSU’s, so will be doing Dual PSU setup hopefully (if I manage to get another card or 2).

I’m only running a 3080 FE at the moment, but will be adding a 3060 TI FE and changing the 750w to a 1000w PSU.

if the mining bubble absolutely bursts, I’ll just build each of a nephews a gaming PC each :)

4. STEinGUZZ

Associate

I’ve also seen the recommendations about powering the riser and GPU (matching from the same PSU).

A quick question if you don’t mind, when it comes to powering the risers?

what cable do you use?

6+2 to 6+2 (using the 6 pin only to the riser of course). When it comes to connecting to the PSU, do you plug into the PCIE (8) using 8 or 6? Or can you connect to the 6 pin female slots (labelled up as SATA on the PSU).

I’ve seen people using the black and yellow AW18 cables, but I don’t know which ones I need. As I’ve seen people using one cable to power 2 risers.

5. Smokes

Wise Guy

You can power them off the 6+2 PCIe cable as you've described by plugging in to the PCIE 8 pin using all 8 on the psu, or you can use a molex connector off one of the peripheral outputs on your psu. You can power 2 riser cards with 2 molex on the same cable safely. Do not use the sata power ones! Diagram and description here..

https://www.gpuminingresources.com/p/psu-cables.html

I would also recommend an HP server PSU with breakout board if you ending up going down a dedicated rig route. 12-16 PCIe outputs with many watts so more than enough to power 5+ cards

6. STEinGUZZ

Associate

Smokes,

Thank you, I’m slightly relieved as I am powering my GPU as you describe, All 8 connectors plugged in on PSU and 6 at the other end to the riser.

7. Zaf

Soldato

For my 3080 I’ve used the same configuration as Red Panda Mining does on his 3080 rigs. Basically 2x PCI-E ports from the PSU, one goes to a splitter which power s the 6 Pin riser and 8 pin on the card and the other goes straight to the 2nd 8 pin on the card.

This way you can power 3x 3080s from a 6x PCI-E PSU