Associate
Hi everyone,

I'm water cooling for the first time and I'm worried about having a leak, so before even completing the loop and filling it up with water I need some help with figuring out if these fittings are connected properly and if not, how do I tighten them?

Here is a link to an album with some pictures http://imgur.com/a/XZQ9b

The first image is an EK Water Blocks EK-ACF Fitting 13/19mm - Black screwed into a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified HydroCopper. It is probably quite hard to tell from this photo, but this is the best I could do for now. Is there meant to be a gap at the top, between the fitting and the card?

The second image with the green O-ring is a Bitspower G1/4 Matte Black Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 1/2" OD 3/4" also into the GTX 780. Should the O-ring be inside the graphics card slightly?

The third image is a compression fitting Bitspower Connection 1/4 Inch to 19 / 13mm - Carbon Black screwed into a Black Ice Nemesis GTX 360mm Radiator. You can see that the O-ring is flush against the radiator, but the whole fitting isn't flush against the O-ring.

The fourth and fifth images are both connections of the Bitspower 1/4 Inch Adjustable Aquapipe II (22-31mm), I think this is the one that looks the most secure to me.

What I want to know is, do these look right and, if not, how do I screw the fittings properly into the components as I'm having a hard time screwing them in further?

Does anyone have any tips for screwing something into a rotary fitting, as obviously it will keep rotating unless it is clamped down? I don't really want to clamp them with pliers as I fear I will be crushing the fitting.

Thanks.

Associate
The EK is fine, the rubber seal is inside the screw bit, your well past that.

I really wouldn't use tools to tighten these sorts of these, they are designed to be finger tight (If your having hard time gripping use a piece of cloth in between to get more grip)
You can do all sorts of damage by over tighten.

Associate
OP
the EK one - not sure,as i have never used that fitting, but it does look loose to me

The green O ring - needs tightening to compress the O ring

The red O rings - all fine

By red ones do you mean the GPU connector or are you also referring to the one that is going into the radiator?

Associate
OP
The EK is fine, the rubber seal is inside the screw bit, your well past that.

I really wouldn't use tools to tighten these sorts of these, they are designed to be finger tight (If your having hard time gripping use a piece of cloth in between to get more grip)
You can do all sorts of damage by over tighten.

Yeah I don't really want to use tools as I've seen many times that they should only ever be used at the end for a tiny fraction of a turn if necessary, however I didn't see how people were screwing them in without some tools as I am having a hard time. I do have some microfibre cloths but I found them to be quite slippery, any other cloths you can suggest that wouldn't damage the other components?

Associate
I've not used the other ones but those EK ones are designed to be screwed in with a 8mm allen key, just be careful not to over do it.

Associate
OP
All the pictures with red O rings are fine.

For gripping fittings ;

Rubber washing up glove

Wrap an elastic band around the fitting

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Why is it that the fitting (not the collar) doesn't go all the way flush to the radiator? Is that never meant to then?

Soldato
Allen key down the centre (EK fittings) to tighten the fitting to the block itself. Tighten adequately, don't over tighten or you may strip the threads. The collar should be as tight as you can get it without tools.

For angled fittings, I've found using both hands, finger and thumb on each side (knurled part) and turn it that way. Rubber gloves as posted above will help too.

Soldato
If the fittings are bottoming out before sealing that's bad, have you compared the fittings to see if the threaded bits are different sizes? IIRC EVGA Hydrocoppers usually have six low profile plugs and some fittings with longer threaded parts will collide with the opposite plug.

Try removing the plug opposite the fitting you're most worried about and see if the fitting then screws in further, if so you will need shallower fittings.

Associate
OP
If the fittings are bottoming out before sealing that's bad, have you compared the fittings to see if the threaded bits are different sizes? IIRC EVGA Hydrocoppers usually have six low profile plugs and some fittings with longer threaded parts will collide with the opposite plug.

Try removing the plug opposite the fitting you're most worried about and see if the fitting then screws in further, if so you will need shallower fittings.

You might be onto something, this is something to consider, I'll get to check this weekend. For example I did have issues using some of these 1/4 Inch plug Closure - Carbon Black plugs but had no problem using the plugs provided with the cards themselves (you have to use allen keys for those).

Back
Top Bottom