Computer desk: What would you do?

Associate
Caporegime
Soldato
in the link it says 'Robust Gaming-Desk with lots of features' - yet doesnt list any.. i cant imagine whats so special about this to warrant a 1200£...
  • "Luxurious" full-featured gaming desk for sitting and standing positions...
  • Powder-coated MDF
Lol. Free Gucci belt and spatula with every purchase

Associate
OP
Not yet ;)

Personally, if it were me I would put a smaller desk in your bedroom instead of the beast you have drawn out. I have a 1600mm x 800mm desk if my dedicated office now and that is pretty big. I used to have a 1200 x 600mm desk which was perfect in my old house. I think it will make your bedroom feel bigger without such a large desk in it and you may still be able to get a wardrobe / chest of draws in that space where your blue line is on the wall.

Totally get you making the room look bigger with a smaller desk. how strong are those ikea desks? I hear they are not very strong.

Soldato
I've not used ikea desks before, but I buy a typical computer type desk. If you google 'Tully II Narrow Rectangular Desk' it should be the first hit. Its £104 with free delivery for the 1200x600. Looks great in white for a modern look. I've had many desks from this place over the years and none have ever fell apart, I have always sold them on as I decided to upgrade in size or change colour.

Here is my old setup with a 27" monitor on it. 1200x600mm desk.

kkEPBnVh.jpg

vs my newer 1800 x 800mm (I thought it was 1600mm wide, sorry, I just checked!)
tJ2kdENh.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've not used ikea desks before, but I buy a typical computer type desk. If you google 'Tully II Narrow Rectangular Desk' it should be the first hit. Its £104 with free delivery for the 1200x600. Looks great in white for a modern look. I've had many desks from this place over the years and none have ever fell apart, I have always sold them on as I decided to upgrade in size or change colour.

kkEPBnVh.jpg

tJ2kdENh.jpg

Must say that's nice in white, Cant seem to find that one when I do a search.

Soldato
Cheers that sneaky price without vat lol

Your new one I see has draws is that separate?

Hehe.

My new one came with them, I specifically looked for one with them. Just bear in mind it takes up leg room and if you do get a 1200mm wide desk, you might find it annoying. My draws are 420mm wide.

Associate
OP
Hehe.

My new one came with them, I specifically looked for one with them. Just bear in mind it takes up leg room and if you do get a 1200mm wide desk, you might find it annoying. My draws are 420mm wide.

Yes if I was to get a desk with draws it would need to be longer. Cheers.

Soldato
fobose what make is your new one?

It's from the same website I linked to (furniture at work), but it seems unavailable now. I've had it since July 2019.

Details from my confirmation email: Product code: 46731HE Description: VALUE LINE DELUXE WHITE LEG DESK WITH 3 DRAWERS

Ah, it could have been renamed. Perhaps VALUE LINE did not sound too good ;) These look very similar:

code: 107748HHN, description: Alcott Cable Managed Rectangular Home Office Desk With Pedestal

There is also a slimmer 600mm deep verison:

code: 107750HBN, description: Alcott Cable Managed Narrow Rectangular Home Office Desk With Pedestal

Associate
OP
It's from the same website I linked to (furniture at work), but it seems unavailable now. I've had it since July 2019.

Details from my confirmation email: Product code: 46731HE Description: VALUE LINE DELUXE WHITE LEG DESK WITH 3 DRAWERS

Ah, it could have been renamed. Perhaps VALUE LINE did not sound too good ;) These look very similar:

code: 107748HHN, description: Alcott Cable Managed Rectangular Home Office Desk With Pedestal

There is also a slimmer 600mm deep verison:

code: 107750HBN, description: Alcott Cable Managed Narrow Rectangular Home Office Desk With Pedestal

Cheers for that:)

Soldato
If you were keen to keep your costs down, you could buy a standard bed side table and put that under the standard desks which work out much cheaper. I did that with an old maple coloured desk I bought a maple coloured bedside table from argos.

*edit* and another thing I did for space saving, I bought a second bedside table and put one on top of the other with a few metal L brackets to hold them together. Obviously they were not under the desk like that but in a small recess area in to the room which fit perfectly. Handy place to keep all my spare PC parts and cables ;)

Associate

kkEPBnVh.jpg

tJ2kdENh.jpg
The monochrome style looks smart :)

Associate
OP
If you were keen to keep your costs down, you could buy a standard bed side table and put that under the standard desks which work out much cheaper. I did that with an old maple coloured desk I bought a maple coloured bedside table from argos.

*edit* and another thing I did for space saving, I bought a second bedside table and put one on top of the other with a few metal L brackets to hold them together. Obviously they were not under the desk like that but in a small recess area in to the room which fit perfectly. Handy place to keep all my spare PC parts and cables ;)

What a great idea thanks for the tip fobose :)

Back
Top Bottom