Computer keeps getting dusty. Should I block up all non-airway holes in my case?

Associate
I have a pretty big PC case with lots of parts for fans, some of which aren’t covered with that just filter foam stuff. The case also has a few holes for stuff like water cooling pipes/grilles in the unused PCI slot covers that are completely open.

i’m wondering whether I should cover those up with installation tape or similar to impede the flow of dust particles getting sucked into my machine and building up on fans and other such stuff? Or will that impede airflow and make my cooling worse? I considered getting some more fan grille filter foam stuff to cover more of those holes - will that stuff work better?

Soldato
No, you should clean it out then from now on vacuum your room more often. You could also make sure that you have positive pressure inside the case. More intake than exhaust then the air will go out the gaps only.

Soldato
PC case fan filters don't catch all the dust, they're a compromise between airflow and dust reduction. You could get filters that would stop all the dust, but then they'd drastically reduce airflow and you'd have temperature problems. If you PC is on the floor, raising it will significantly reduce dust build up. Aside from that, just keep cleaning it.

Permabanned
I find with mine that no matter what I do dust builds up in the PC's. Using filters doesn't really decrease the dust rather it just ends up in much finer dust in the PC. So honestly I am not sure. I think probably it comes down to cleaning the PC often.

Soldato
Provide a more positive pressure will likely help more, have more air going in via fans etc than going out. You could also try block up venting etc will will help more. I used to use some of that sticky foam tape or just cut some acrylic sheet, vinyl wrap and stick into place.

Back
Top Bottom