Computer not detecting wireless network.

Associate
Hey, sorry to thread hi-jack, but since this question is on a similar topic, i thought id ask here instead of making a new thread.

Ok so here it goes;

Computer Set-up;

2x Computers running WindowsXP (Sp1)
1x Belkin Modem/Router (model no. FSD7630-4A)
Both computers connected to router via Cat5 cabling.
Computers arent networked together, the router is just there to share the DSL connection.

The Story;

Well i just added a new HDD, so i thought whilst i was giving my computer a bit of a spring clean i thought id save what i needed and format the lot adding in partitions where appropriate (to seperate useful files from the read me i install :p), but now after a reformat and a reinstall of windows xp (currently unpatched as i cant get the net on that comp atm), i cant seem to communicate with my router anymore.

What ive found;

Well ive been through all what i know of networking (which i managed to scribe on the back of a ppostage stamp) and im sure everything is there and right, the network card is installed and its all configured as it should be (hopfully) and ive run the set-up wizard, but it still wont communicate.

Now what ive found is that it says its connecting, but it reads at 400.0Mbps, when it should read 100.0Mbps, and that windows doesnt seem to configure itself for using the internet, as when i type in /ipconfig/all i dont get any information back, all i get is the title for the search, but no ip's or anything.

Hope someone here can help, as im sure you can!

Cheers all in advance :D

Note : if anyone objects to this post being in this thread, i will happily move repost it elsewhere....)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Visionz said:
Hey, sorry to thread hi-jack, but since this question is on a similar topic, i thought id ask here instead of making a new thread.

Ok so here it goes;

Computer Set-up;

2x Computers running WindowsXP (Sp1)
1x Belkin Modem/Router (model no. FSD7630-4A)
Both computers connected to router via Cat5 cabling.
Computers arent networked together, the router is just there to share the DSL connection.

The Story;

Well i just added a new HDD, so i thought whilst i was giving my computer a bit of a spring clean i thought id save what i needed and format the lot adding in partitions where appropriate (to seperate useful files from the read me i install :p), but now after a reformat and a reinstall of windows xp (currently unpatched as i cant get the net on that comp atm), i cant seem to communicate with my router anymore.

What ive found;

Well ive been through all what i know of networking (which i managed to scribe on the back of a ppostage stamp) and im sure everything is there and right, the network card is installed and its all configured as it should be (hopfully) and ive run the set-up wizard, but it still wont communicate.

Now what ive found is that it says its connecting, but it reads at 400.0Mbps, when it should read 100.0Mbps, and that windows doesnt seem to configure itself for using the internet, as when i type in /ipconfig/all i dont get any information back, all i get is the title for the search, but no ip's or anything.

Hope someone here can help, as im sure you can!

Cheers all in advance :D

Note : if anyone objects to this post being in this thread, i will happily move repost it elsewhere....)
its a 1394 Net Adapter firewire connection if it 400.0Mbps you need to enable your network card and disable the 1394 net adaptor.

Permabanned
ok that router isnt actually a dyno its made by safecom to let you know.
let me get this, the lan ports on the router you can connect it to your pc and it works yes?

have you enabled the wireless tick the box then save and then press the tab to save ap then restart router.

Last edited:
Permabanned
we have to make sure that you can connect to the lan ports on that router and access the net that way, another thing that router is good has lot of function but the signal is weak.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
crashuk said:
we have to make sure that you can connect to the lan ports on that router and access the net that way, another thing that router is good has lot of function but the signal is weak.

Just tried it and got 'limited or no connectivity'.

Permabanned
well if that dont work you need to press the reset switch for 5 sec sometimes you need to turn it off and turn it on, next get a network cable and link it from your pc lan adaptor to the lan port of the router, (dont use the usb link) then insert the cd that it came with, run it, a window should open and ask for 3 details, 1st one you select uk isp, the next you put in your isp user name and password, dont enable wireless yet , after that click finish, the router should turn off and flash a few times then it comes back on line.
your routers gateway and dns will be 192.168.1.1. now at the pc end go to tcp/ip setting for your network card not your wireless card then select the tcp/ip and dns setting to be automatic. now test if you can get onto the net, after this ill help you get the router to go wireless.

Last edited:
Permabanned
crashuk said:
well if that dont work you need to press the reset switch for 5 sec sometimes you need to turn it off and turn it on, next get a network cable and link it from your pc lan adaptor to the lan port of the router, (dont use the usb link) then insert the cd that it came with, run it, (remember to disable your firewall and windows firewall too before you run the cd) a window should open and ask for 3 details, 1st one you select uk isp, the next you put in your isp user name and password, dont enable wireless yet , after that click finish, the router should turn off and flash a few times then it comes back on line.
your routers gateway and dns will be 192.168.1.1. now at the pc end go to tcp/ip setting for your network card not your wireless card then select the tcp/ip and dns setting to be automatic. now test if you can get onto the net, after this ill help you get the router to go wireless.
i want to make sure you can access the net via the lan ports, before we move onto the wireless.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
crashuk said:
i want to make sure you can access the net via the lan ports, before we move onto the wireless.

I can i had it working this morning but i lost the settings when i reset everything, it does work, all i need for the tcp/ip settings is the top ip address bu i don't know what to put in.

Caporegime
For the love of $deity, you don't have to keep bumping the thread with crap. It doesn't exactly make things easy to read.

If you're getting "limited or no connectivity", then the machine didn't get an answer from a DHCP server (ie your router). You shouldn't need to use a CD either.
Forget USB (as I told you the first time round) and forget wireless. Get it working wired first, then try wireless. IPs, subnet masks etc should be assigned automatically.

Might be a good idea to try the wireless device (ie the laptop) with another wireless AP to make sure it works as well, and another wireless device with your router.

Associate
OP
It did work wired this morning with static (?) addresses in the tcp/ip settings, i just can't remember what they were, with assigning them automatically, that is when i get 'limited....'.

What is the ip address i need anyone? Or how do i find it?

Back
Top Bottom