Computer not detecting wireless network.

Caporegime
Going on what crashuk's said, 192.168.1.x (where x=1-254), subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1 should work.

Permabanned
tolien said:
For the love of $deity, you don't have to keep bumping the thread with crap. It doesn't exactly make things easy to read.

If you're getting "limited or no connectivity", then the machine didn't get an answer from a DHCP server (ie your router). You shouldn't need to use a CD either.
Forget USB (as I told you the first time round) and forget wireless. Get it working wired first, then try wireless. IPs, subnet masks etc should be assigned automatically.

Might be a good idea to try the wireless device (ie the laptop) with another wireless AP to make sure it works as well, and another wireless device with your router.
i know the router tolien ive used them, the yare good but buggy on the resets,

Last edited:
Permabanned
Brains said:
It did work wired this morning with static (?) addresses in the tcp/ip settings, i just can't remember what they were, with assigning them automatically, that is when i get 'limited....'.

What is the ip address i need anyone? Or how do i find it?
thats why i wanted you to reset the router so it can assign ips and we can start from the beginning.

Last edited:
Soldato
tolien said:
For the love of $deity, you don't have to keep bumping the thread with crap. It doesn't exactly make things easy to read.
I totally agree, and will also introduce crashuk to the
edit.gif
button. It's there for a reason, use it, or your posts will just get deleted when you create a new one without reason.

Caporegime
crashuk said:
i know the router tolien ive used them,

That's all very nice, but a) you still shouldn't need to use a CD to configure it, and b) 99% of decent routers come with the DHCP server enabled by default, so unless Brains (or the CD) has broke something, there shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed on resetting the router to defaults and starting again through. Just forgo the CD.

Permabanned
That router has different firmware and different gui, the best way is to use the cd to set up his isp passwords and getting everything working its faster that way, then he can just connected it via a lan port, that router can become very complicated because it has so many functions ie you can have 3 different subnets on that router for 1 on each port but that also depends on the firmware he has.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
crashuk said:
That router has different firmware and different gui, the best way is to use the cd to set up his isp passwords and getting everything working its faster that way, then he can just connected it via a lan port, that router can become very complicated because it has so many functions ie you can have 3 different subnets on that router for 1 on each port but that also depends on the firmware he has.

Ok, so i am going to reset the router, remove my network cards in device manager, that way everything is reset right?

Caporegime
crashuk said:
That router has different firmware and different gui

Back in the real world, there's no need for a CD to at least get the wired and wireless LAN working, especially given you've no idea what else its changing...

ie you can have 3 different subnets on that router for 1 on each port

So keep away from the VLAN options?

Ok, so i am going to reset the router, remove my network cards in device manager, that way everything is reset right?

You don't need to remove the network cards, but yes, reset the router and set the network card to get its settings automatically.

Associate
OP
tolien said:
Back in the real world, there's no need for a CD to at least get the wired and wireless LAN working, especially given you've no idea what else its changing...

So keep away from the VLAN options?

You don't need to remove the network cards, but yes, reset the router and set the network card to get its settings automatically.

Any ideas what is going to happen, reason is, i'm going to loose my internet connection and then i won't be able to ask for help for a bit.

Caporegime
If it all works, your machine will get an IP automatically, and you should be able to get into the router's web interface by sticking 192.168.1.1 (if that's the router's IP) into your web browser.
In there you should find the options for setting up your ADSL (VPI 0, VCI 38, username and password as you've been given).

Permabanned
Brains said:

ok follow this
uninstall the wireless card then takeout your wireless card but keep the lan card (remember to turn of your pc before), then reset the router sometimes it dosent reset well so you need to turn it off and press the reset button while you turn in on again, it will flash 3 times this means it wiped.

go to tcp/ip settings for your lan wired network card then select obtain ip/dns addy auto tick the 2 boxes. then on the local area setting for that network card tick show icon on notification.

next connect the network cable to your pc to the router turn the router on, but disable your firewall /s now pop in the cd it will ask you 3 thing but dont tick wireless connection follow what the cd says, then you will see a bar it will stay at 75% for a min or 2 so dont worry.
now your router will flash, at try to connect to your isp.

now turn you firewalls on you should be able to browse the net.
after that ill show you how to set up the wireless function

Permabanned
then 192.168.1.1
and it should look like this, and most of the stuff will be in light grey ( so u cant edit it)

Last edited:
Permabanned
once you router works and you can browse the net using the lan port, look for something like picture 2 on your router. but before you do this you need to set up the admin username and password.

ive configured it for your wireless network just copy whats i n th picture.
now i need to know if the wireless card you have has its own software to detect a the network.

Last edited:
Permabanned
actually take pics of the wireless tabs from the router using ctrl and print, post it, ill copy and edit then post it, so u can copy them. remember to paint over any passwords usernames.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did what you guys said, i plug it in the lan port, and all that comes up is 'limited or... ', try the lan address and i get, 'Could not open the search page'.

:S

Permabanned
brains u still here, email me ill give you my number ill walk you thru it. its really important that your firewalls are off.
ok do this on you pc
start ---->run-----> type cmd ,a black window appears

now type
ipconfig /all
write or take a screen print of it post it here.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
crashuk said:
brains u still here, email me ill give you my number ill walk you thru it. its really important that your firewalls are off.
ok do this on you pc
start ---->run-----> type cmd ,a black window appears

now type
ipconfig /all
write or take a screen print of it post it here.

Sorry, i'm not at home now, will have to be later on tonight, do appreciate this, thanks.

Permabanned
ok i see its connected to your usb port,
get a network cable and connect it to the pc and to the router, then do a ip config / all again. and take pic again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom