computer overheated and turned off

Soldato
Problem with GPU's is they just die when they over heat unlike your CPU which is smart enough to shut down. I would still try replacing the fan but. Only a few quid for a replacement. It *might* just work.

Associate
1 Long 2 Short for video card not inserted/detected beep error.

If the graphics card fan is seized you should clean out any dust and see if it frees it up. If not, the oil has dried inside and you can re-lube it. It is probably fried by the sound of things thought because it is stopping the PC from booting.

Associate
The card should still show a picture at BIOS boot even if the fan was stuck, it is when it was put under load when the OS had loaded that it would cut the VGA if it overheated. I think personally that it is dead, but I would still try to clean/lube it and test it with another PSU.

Soldato
OP
well i just cleaned the graphics fan as it was dusty but still doesnt power up when its plugged in. The computer only powers up without the graphics card. Looks like a very cheap replacement is needed any suggestions ha?

Soldato
*prepares for slagging* You can get a 9500GT for resonable money. Im not a big gamer but my yoke can handle FS2004, GTA III and output everything to my Samsung TV on the HDMI port. Far from great but cheap and works a treat :) Crysis would kill it but. lol !

Associate
You can get a 4850 second hand for about £50-£60 on ebay inc shipping. 9600GT, 8800GT, 9800GT + second hand also an option. To be honest around the £50 mark there is very little new for a real gaming card, you need to try and find something on ebay for that money.

Back
Top Bottom