Computer turned on by itself

Associate
OP
It may be wake on USB since I had my Creative Zen Micro charging this time. Can't remember if it was connected last time.

I will check event log tomorrow. Is it just the event viewer that comes up if I type event into the start menu?

how do you turn off WOL? looked in the bios its not there

On my board WOL is under Power -> APM -> Power On by PCI Devices apparently

Associate
OP
Sorry for the long post but I am now thoroughly confused.

This morning it did it again. I was gonna go into event viewer and see if there was anything suspicious in there, so I was about to type my password in when the computer went into a restart loop. It would occasionally get as far as the bios screen and sometimes would just spin up and then go off again. I then cut the power at the wall and removed components one at a time to see if I could isolate the problem.

The problem was still there with the IDE cable for the DVD drives unplugged and also with the unnecessary PCI cards removed. I then unplugged the HDDs, front panel switches and one stick of RAM and now it boots fine, even with everything plugged back in.

So now I'm thoroughly confused as to what could have caused it.

I also looked in event viewer and couldn't see anything suspicious but I don't really know what to look for so if there's anything specific I should be looking at could someone let me know

Thanks

Aod

Aod

Soldato
how do you turn off WOL? looked in the bios its not there

go to device manager, then the properties page for your ethernet adapter, then power management

WakeOnLanDisable.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom