Confused about my Ram XMP - seems to not work

Associate
Hi Guys,

Posting this on behalf of my German friend, so sorry about some of the linked pictures being in Deutsch, but you know what you're looking at anyway.

Images to reference - https://imgur.com/a/y5t3Hn2

He bought Patriot Viper 3200MHz 2x8 Gb as an upgrade from 1 single stick of 8gb Crucial ram.

He is using a MSI B350 PRO-VDH AM4 with a Ryzen 5 1400.

I'm far from the source of all knowledge when it comes to computers, but compared to me he has no clue. So I told him how to enable his XMP in his bios, which he did. The motherboard even confirms these changes by stating 'DDR Speed 3200' at the top. (See 2 images linked at top)

However when he boots into Windows, task manager says 'Memory Speed: 1600'. I wasn't too concerned about this, because obviously DDR means double data, and 1600 x 2 is 3200. Although I still found this strange, because in task manager on my computer it actually states 'Speed: 3200'. (See image linked at top)

Finally, I asked him to open is Command Prompt to check his memory speeds, and this reads: 'DIMM 1 1067, DIMM 1 1067'. Again, in my command prompt it shows me 3200, 3200.

If anyone could explain to us why this isn't working that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
It has been brought to my attention that the command he typed was not the one I told him to. It's possible that the command he used could be just asking the DIMMs about their specifications and not their current state.

So I guess I will get him to run some more checks such as CPU-Z and using the correct command prompt of: wmic memorychip get speed

Associate
OP
DDR = double data rate, so so a clock speed of 1600MHz means your RAM is running at 3200MHz because it "clocks" twice per cycle.
Hi, Yes I understood that. I was mainly confused at the command prompt speeds that were reported. As on my system they displayed correctly at 3200, 3200

Associate
Its more than likely the command prompt information is incorrect. If it was reverting to 2133MHz then the machine would loop a few times at boot before reverting to the base value, and if you return to BIOS after getting to Windows, the BIOS would also state 2133Mhz.

Back
Top Bottom