• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Confusing as to why Multicore isnt much better?

Soldato
OP
Well, ok, I have tried both WINAVI and AVS

Ok, both use Multicores much much better than ConvertXtoDVD do

However...

WinAVI was converting at about the 85% mark and this allowed me to also play Dawn Of War SoulStorm while I waited and I found no noticeable loss of speed in Disk access.

While AVS however was churning the AVI to DVD at about 98% and made using the PC a little irritating... I could not even cycle through my videos that I had already done and this was simply not a good thing for me.

Now, Im loking at a few things here

The interface, the way I can drag & Drop AVI Files, the CPU useage in converting 1,2,3 or 4 files as well as how much this afects the use of the PC when I am in deed converting and its clear to me, that since I fold on all 4 cores, I also convert AVI to DVD on all 4 cores, and I burn 4 DVDs at a time, plus I like to play games while I am converting and burning, that ConvertXtoDVD is still by far the better chioce, for much more than just one or two reasons.

However, if there is just one massive file that I need converting quickly and I dont need to use the PC while its doing it, then AVS might well be the better option... I suppose I could just knock it on to use 3 cores maybe but thats also defeating the object and thats what I do with ConvertXtoDVD anyway, so...

Ah well...

I wil also have a play on the Phenom in the next couple of days to see if the results are any different.

Soldato
No, no no... Its not the speed thats the concern.. Hell, Im more than happy with it as it is... I dont even overclock anymore as I feel that its pretty pointless now.

Its just more that I felt that if one core gave me 25% and 4 cores gave me 4x25% then why was it adding up to only 50%.

This also goes a fair way to explain why me moving from 2 cores to 4 cores wasnt that big of a jump I suppose?

1st pass encoding with H.264 should give you '4x25%' better performance but when you run the 2nd pass for some reason there is no benefit for having extra cores.

You sure about that since AVS pushs my quad to 100%

It depends what you encoding to, if it's a xvid and you creating a mp4 of mkv then you will get 100% usage but if it's a mpeg and you encoding to avi (say XVID) then I've only ever seen two threads being used (unless the codec has been updated to support more then two threads).

Back
Top Bottom