Confusing Router problem

Associate
I'm not brilliant with these things, but I generally get them working pretty quick. A mate of mine got a Linksys WRT54G and a Linksys Wireless USB connector, forgotten that model, I'll try and find out, but I don't think that is the problem.

It's connected to NTL, the downstairs PC connected through eithernet, and works fine.
The upstairs PC on wireless, will connect, and show it's fine, but it stops receiving data after a few seconds. If oyu open Firefox as soon as the connection is made you get about half of the NTL homepage and nothing else.
If I try and ping a site, I get nothing back, same for the router. If you view the status of the wireless you can see packets go but not come back.
So, I removed the wireless and connceted via an ethernet cable. I got exactly the same thing.
I can't see anything obvious to me to fix it, but when I access the router config from downstairs I forced the WLAN to 802.11b and it's worked pretty much since then.
It's not great though, it's still cutting out wiht no error, but it can be after 10min or a few hours.

Has anyone got any ideas? It's confusing me because I can't see anything actually wrong with it, and don't get any errors.

Thanks in advance. :)

Soldato
NTL. that is your problem. Seriously. Can you transfer data around your LAN ok?

Check my other post in this forum - similar problems. I read somewhere ntl are doing something with 'UBRs'. Might be something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom