1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion!

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Mr Gimp, 8 Apr 2010.

1. Mr Gimp

Mobster

I've had ADSL with Demon now for a good few years, but always been slightly annoyed at my seemingly slow connection speed (just under 1 Mbps).

I've always put up with it until now as I've assumed that there was nothing that could be done, but having a look at the speed estimation tool listed in the sticky, I should be capable of getting a quicker connection?

Code:
    DSL Upstream Rate:   288 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 1152 Kbps

Down         up    
    DSL Noise Margin:    24.0 dB      23.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation:     54.0 dB      29.5 dB
    DSL Transmit Power:  18.1 dBm     11.7 dBm
    Am I right in thinking my connection seems quite slow considering the stats or should I be on the phone to someone?

2. tolien

Caporegime

You're on fixed rate 1Mbps. You'd likely get more if you moved to a service that was rate adaptive but would probably need to tell Demon to do it (and there'll be some condition attached to that; IIRC all their new products have a FUP).

3. Mr Gimp

Mobster

Cheers tolien.

That makes sense and would explain a slight title change to the service on the bill I get from them (I was on on Home Office 8000 for ages and ages, now it's listed as 1000) but now I do feel quite stupid for not putting two and two together! :o

I'll get on the phone in the morning :)

4. Zico

Mobster

Now would be a good time to shop around to see what the market has to offer.

If you are happy with Demon then there isn't any harm in checking to see if they are value for money against the others.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

5. Mr Gimp

Mobster

Code:
    DSL Upstream Rate:   448 Kbps
    DSL Downstream Rate: 4448 Kbps

Down         up    
    DSL Noise Margin:     5.8 dB      18.0 dB
    DSL Attenuation:     54.0 dB      29.5 dB
    DSL Transmit Power:  19.1 dBm     11.9 dBm

:D Better than what I was getting anyway!