Connected at 7.6 mbs - Nildram.

Soldato
Im connected to the web at 7.6 mbps Im still in my training period with Nildram max adsl. I got switched on on the 23rd, so will I get the full 8meg? someone said I needed to ask Nildram to disable interleaving or something?

28may.jpg

Soldato
Has the line been very unstable at any point?

With stats like that I would have thought you'd been connecting at the full 8128kbps (or whatever the top speed is) with a slightly lower SNR instead of having a SNR that high with a slightly lower sync rate.

Soldato
OP
The line has been very stable apart from last night when I lost my wirless signal for some reason, a pull of the power plug sorted that though. I have had to turn my router on and off a few times though, becuase I was trying to sort out another problem I had with my lan.

Soldato
SNR margin isn't the be-all and end-all. He might have had some large noise spikes which knocked the line down causing the BRAS system to raise the sync rate.

Soldato
OP
Ok I am going to send Nildram support this email..

Hi there,

I have just been activated on the 23/05/06 and I understand my line is in a training period.

However I am only connected @ 7616 kbps

My line is capable of more than this, it is very stable..

ADSL Link Downstream / Upstream
Connection Speed 7616 kbps / 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 19 db / 18 db
Noise Margin 17 db / 28 db

Can you check as to wether you can "lower my SNR Target back to default (6dB)". And also to disable interleaving.

====================================================
Does this look ok?

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately Netgear routers don't state whether the line is interleaved or not. However, 7616kbps is the maximum sync rate possible for a line with interleaving enabled so I would assume that interleaving is the cause.

Caporegime
norm said:
He might have had some large noise spikes which knocked the line down causing the BRAS system to raise the sync rate.

Or more accurately, it's possible that all the disconnections have made the DLM up the target SNR margin (as suggested) and/or switch interleaving on.
Nothing to do with raising (!) the synch rate, or noise spikes.

Associate
Do you have to request to be transfered onto ADSL Mxax with Nildram. One of my clients uses them, they are already on the Broadband 2 package, but only get 1mbps. Should I get them to ring and ask to be migrated onto ADSL Max

Thanks
Aaron

Soldato
Certainly is, I forgot about the debug mode :)

Enter this from a browser - obviously replacing the IP with whatever yours is set to:

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

Then open up a command prompt and do a telnet 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is, of course).

Finally, issue the command:

adslctl info --stats

The 2nd line will say either fast or interleave, depending on the line obviously.

Associate
Phemo said:
Certainly is, I forgot about the debug mode :)

Enter this from a browser - obviously replacing the IP with whatever yours is set to:

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug

Then open up a command prompt and do a telnet 192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP is, of course).

Finally, issue the command:

adslctl info --stats

The 2nd line will say either fast or interleave, depending on the line obviously.

If that command line doesn't work try this:
cat proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats
it all depends what router your using.

Associate
i have a speedtouch 510 v4 can i use telnet to see if im interleaved?
if so how? (sorry for hijacking)

*edit*
found it its telnet 10.0.0.138 (username and pass) and then adsl info tells all
mine is set to fast :)

connected at
Maximum stable rate 7392Kbps
Line speed 7392Kbps
Fault threshold 5152Kbps

even tho BT calc said max of 3mb :)
so more than happy

Last edited:
Associate
Yes you are interleaved.

If you are still in the 10 day initial period I wouldn't be inclined to tinker with things too much.

You can request Nildram to force interleaving to 'off' but they will make a small admin charge for doing it.

You must have had some noise or errors on the line at some point though or interleaving would not have been turned on in the first place.

Soldato
OP
Really they will charge me? cant believe that to be honest. Download speeds tonight are shocking on Nildram, I just ran a speed test and it reckons my speed was below 1 meg! same test yesterday I was around 7!

I have also had no response from the email I sent by the way.

Cant win with this max tbh. :(

edit:

Could this have happened because I turned the router on and off a few times? if so I find that a bit daft.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom