1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting an external hard drive to router

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by chrismox, 1 Feb 2006.

1. chrismox

Wise Guy

Is it possible to connect a hard drive to my Netgear DG834G router so that it is available to all connected PCs?

I see that some routers have a USB port (not mine) so I'm assuming the answer is no, just wondered if there was any way around this?

Thanks.

2. badbob

PermaBanned

You need a NAS drive, those have network connector so is seen as a IP address. You can't plug in a USB2/Firewire box into a router, unless it specifically allows you do so. Some set top box media players have USB and can access file contents on a USB harddrive when connected.

3. chrismox

Wise Guy

Thanks, you learn something every day :)

4. munge

Hitman

5. Sparky191

Hitman

Or you could share drive from which ever PC its connected to.

6. ste_bla

Sgarrista

7. chrismox

Wise Guy

Not interested in having a PC turned on to share a drive as this goes against what I'm trying to achieve - the NAS drives (as linked to above) seem perfect for me.

I had come across the Netgear SC101 which seemes perfect but a few searhces seem to suggest that it's plagued with overheating and the need for drivers.

8. Sparky191

Hitman

Which begs the question what are you trying to achieve? Is this a small office or simply just a few machines at home. In which case what does everyone need access to? MP3s?

9. _NoName_

PermaBanned

We've got one of the Maxtor 300gb drives connected to the router here, works a treat - over the wireless network too :)

10. chrismox

Wise Guy

I have my HTPC in one room and my main PC in another - just wanted a hard drive connected to the router that I could keep stuff on (music, video etc) without having to keep swapping it between the 2 or permanently having both switched on.

I presume any of the NAS drives that OcUK seel will do the job?

Do these NAS drives appear simply as another drive in "My Computer" or are the files accessed differently somehow?

11. wesley

Soldato

not sure if u could map network drive for NAS drives that u need drivers

but Thecus YES box N2100 is fantastic NAS, support 2 SATA drives (raid o or 1), no driver needed but expensive.

12. munge

Hitman

13. Mook

Banned

There was a guy in the For Sale section selling a Netgear router, that had a usb connection for connecting a hdd or such too. Think he wanted something like £40 for it.

14. Mercutio

Soldato

Munge - I really would read the forum rules, linking other shops is generally a ticket to a forum holiday even if the shops arent based in the UK.
    Friendly suggestion rather than nastiness or snobbery :)

Last edited: 2 Feb 2006
  15. MikeWarner

Associate

I have a Maxtor NAS drive - works really well and it has two USB posts on it so you can network USB drives via it or even printers. Really good bit of kit.

16. Caged

Capodecina

Freecom are the manufacturers of the drives.

17. munge

Hitman

As above - thought I was linking to the manufacturer's website?

18. chrismox

Wise Guy

Thanks for the link to the freecom stuff.

I don't really want to replace my existing router so I think that the one munge linked to may be overkill - the Classic SL Network Drives appear more suitable I think.

19. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Why not have a SFF P.C, put in two 160Gb HDDs in RAID or whatever setup you desire. Then have it on dedicated NAS and stick it in the atic. Go up there like once a every three months and check on it. That way you'll have more flexibilty than an ordinary NAS because you'll have a PC controlling things too.

20. munge

Hitman

If you end up with one, let me know how you find it works. Am thinking about getting one myself and was looking into it, but ended up using an old PC as a server