1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting an N64

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Kemik, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Kemik

Mobster

Hey,

I bought an N64 recently and it came with an RF unit you plug into the back and the relevant wire. I took the wire and plugged it into the arial socket of my tv, switched the n64 on and nothing happened. I flicked through the channels but can't see the n64 signal anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this thing working? I've only ever used the three RGB cables, never touched rf.

Thanks!

2. james.miller

Capodecina

its RF, in all likelyhood you'll need to tune the tv. read the instructions, that'll tell you how to do it.

children:rolleyes: :p

3. rp2000

Capo Baston

You will need to "scan" your TV for the channel (Leave the N64 on so you can recognise when you have tuned correct;y). The same way you would tune for analog TV channels or a VCR connected via RF.

rp2000

4. Kemik

Mobster

Thanks guys. That sucks. It means I'll have to rescan every time we wanna watch normal tv. Hmm... I'll have a play with the VCR. I saw instructions around here somewhere...

I went from RGB (PS) to Scart (PS2) to HDMI (PS3) so managed to dodge this horrid RF rubbish :p

5. rp2000

Capo Baston

Surely you can scan 1 channel to "games console" and leave the other channels intact? How old is this TV and how many analog channels does it have? I have a 14 inch from like 10 years ago and it has 99 analog channels and one "AV/Scart" channel. In the "old" days, used to set 1, 2, 3, 4, as Tv and 5 was tuned to a signal that worked with Megadrive/SNES etc. (This probably makes very little sense if you have never tuned analog channels, I guess).

rp2000

6. Pete19s

Wise Guy

Are you holding the aerial out of the window? :D Its nice and easy to do, choose an unused channel, hit menu or similar and look for the auto tune option. Keep scanning untill it picks up the N64 and bob is ure uncle.

7. ~J~

Sgarrista

Tut!! Kids these days!!

Back in my day you had to get a screw driver in the back of the console to turn a screw to a different frequency otherwise it interfered with the Betamax VCR!!

8. nutsnut

Wise Guy

Can believe how many people these days don't know how to tune a TV, I'm not even that old but I was tuning TV's when I was a kid.

9. malachi

Capodecina

If your having trouble,buy a Gamecube scart lead and use that.

10. Kemik

Mobster

Plugged it into the VCR and tuned the first channel on that to the one I found with the N64 on. Not sure how old the TV is. I'm living in rented accommodation through work atm for 9 weeks. Shouldn't have any problem when I get home as all my channels are digital, the N64 will have free roam of analogue :p

As for everyone else, I'm 21 and used auto-tune in the past. Then digital come about and didn't need to bother :cool:

I just assumed the RF would go on it's own channel like the Scart did. I was wrong. I apologise for making such an assumption :o

11. Shicky

Wise Guy

How embarrassing.

12. Naffa

Capodecina

Oh boy, that brings back some memories. :cool:

*Scanning.... Scanning...* "Oh wait! There!! Damn it, gone again" *Scanning...*

Back in the good old days before it automatically saved the frequencies with something on them. ;) Maybe Sony should release a HDMi cable that you have to tune in just to add a touch of nostalgia to their product. ;)

13. Wang Computer

Wise Guy

Kids today... They don't know they're born!!

14. Red and White

Sgarrista

:confused:wtf

15. LeJosh

Capodecina

When people say kids today, what age are they roughly basing this on? :p

I remember relentlessly tuning my megadrive to the tv when I was 6 or 7... Sonic 2...

/nostalgia

If you have a Gamecube OP you can use that cable in the N64 it's the same RGB backwards all the way to the SNES.

16. iv-tecman

Sgarrista

I know.... Its quite shocking, in a few more years no one will know that you use to have to rewind video tapes to start playng them again from the start, or you needed to lift an arm and place a needle on a record to hear sound....

They just don't know they're born do they? lol

I do wonder in even more years will anyone know that you use to have to open a case to obtain a bit of 'media' to pop into a 'machine' to actually get sound and vision??

17. z0mbi3

Soldato

Used to be able to pick up police radio frequencies on my old 14" TV when I was a kid. At least I think that's what it was.