Connecting CPU water block RGB to non RGB motherboard

Associate
Hello peeps :)

I've spent quite some time researching and asking for help, but I still haven't found the right solution. I've spent so much money already on my water cooling setup, so I'd rather not waste any more on stuff that won't work.
So now I've decided to ask you guys for some help.

I've bought EK-Velocity RGB water block: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-velocity-rgb-nickel-acetal
And I've got Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 rev.1 as my motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-7-rev-10#ov

The CPU water block has a 4 pin 12v RGB cable, but my motherboard doesn't seem to support that directly. So what I'm wondering, are there any adapter or controller that gives me the opportunity to enjoy this lovely RGB?

Everything is working fine, expect the RGB lighting, and I would really like for it to work =)
I assume there's probably some information missing, and if so, please feel free to ask for it.

Any help or tips are really appreciated!

Sincerely Skytten

Associate
OP
Thank you for your reply, are you sure the cable will fit into that controller? I know it takes sata power and outputs 12v which is perfect, but for some reason it looks like it doesn't really fit. However it says on EKWB site that the cable I need to connect is a standard RGB cable so I guess it should fit?

Soldato
That Coolermaster was just an example. If they're using a proprietary cable then you'll need to be aware of that.

Unless you're plugging directly into a motherboard header then you have a potential minefield of bespoke connectors and whatnot when looking at controller hubs. Maybe look at an Aquacomputer Farbwerk?

Soldato
Cool cool, I've been looking at similar myself for a couple of projects using ages-old hardware and Bykski blocks. Could probably break down that controller box and wire it up with a SATA connector.

Back
Top Bottom